Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #11 
Withered

So, after alot of research and reading. I think he may possibly have a parasite called gill flukes. Has anyone tried coppersafe as a remedy for this? I'm going to go to my LPS tomorrow (assuming my poor fish lives until then) and see if they have some. If not it could be days, and I don't know if he'll make it that long. UGH! This is really depressing.
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #12 
Withered

If anyone has any other advice they can give me I'd appreciate it! I did a full water change a few minutes ago and added epsoms, stress coat and ammonia remover plus some maracyn 2. I do have some fungus cure, but if it's the gill disease I don't know if that would help much. I looked at him under a flashlight and it looks like he has some red streaks on his body too. Could that be the parasite trying to eat away at him? I just don't know what to do. I want to try to save him if there is still a chance but right now i'm just trying to make him as comfortable as I possibly can because I don't have any clove oil and I don't have access anywhere to get any since I live in a small town. :( I'm going to buy some coppersafe online and pray that he survives until it comes. I just don't know what else I can do.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #13 
Sakura8

Hi Withered. First, a sign of gill flukes is the fish darting and rubbing, heavy mucous around the gills, and heavy breathing. If he has these symptoms, I would recommend you switch to aquarium salt at 2 tsps per gallon and daily water changes of at least 50%. Replace only the same amount of salt you take out.

Dropsy is a symptom that can be caused by many things. As MrV said, in worst case scenarios it's a sign that the internal organs are failing although this isn't always the case. Signs of dropsy include bloating, pineconing, lethargy, trouble breathing, heavy mucous production.

If you haven't already, don't buy Coppersafe. It's a pretty potent, strong medication and I don't usually recommend its use. Aquarium salt should be just as effective.

The red streaks could be septicemia, an internal infection of the bloodstream, or they could be irritation from flukes. Hard to say but AQ salt should help in either case.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #14 
Withered

First off, I really want to thank everyone for helping me out with this. Sakura, will the AQ salt kill the flukes though? I heard it's a parasite and it's hard to kill off. I thought about switching his meds from Maracyn to a API Fungus Cure (all I have on me right now) because I've read that the Victoria Green in the Fungus Cure can be helpful with the parasites. I also read that PP can be helpful. but that just seems way too potent to put in the tank to me and I think it would cause him more stress then he's under right now.

I don't think it's dropsy anymore, as he's not bloated or pineconed. He's just very lethargic, darts around and bumps into things and sits at the bottom breathing so hard his whole body moves. He tries to bury himself in the rocks or hides behind his decorations.

Should I change his water again tomorrow and dump the epsoms and try the AQ salt instead then? Or should I go ahead and treat him with the Fungus Cure? I know you can't mix the two together, and I don't want to overmed him since he's already been on epsoms/maracyn for the past week or so.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #15 
Sakura8

Withered, the AQ salt won't necessarily kill the parasites although it may kill some.

According to Aquarium Care of Goldfish by David Boruchowitz, "It stresses many freshwater disease organisms or kills them outright, and it promotes slime production on the fish, which is a natural defense against infection and infestations."

What we're mainly aiming for with the AQ salt is to make them drop off the fish into the water. The parasites are then removed via frequent water changes. It's a little more work than adding a medication but in the long run, it's better because there's no chance of the organisms developing a resistance, like they would to some medications.

There is actually really only one true fungus that bettas develop and that's saprolegnia. They tend to develop this around open wounds where it then resembles other diseases like columnaris. In the case of gill or skin flukes, I'm not sure Fungus Cure would help. Victoria Green would help with a true fungus but the other ingredient, acriflavine, is often used for bacterial infections.

Yeah, PP is a very, very potent med should definitely be used with caution.

Since he is darting and rubbing, he definitely does seem to have an external parasite. My recommendation would be try the AQ salt for now and, if you want, order API General Cure OR Betta Revive. Either of those medications would be helpful against external parasites.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #16 
Withered

Thank you so much Sakura. I am going to try the AQ salt tomorrow since I have some on hand and cross my fingers that it'll help him out! I hate seeing him looking like this. I feel so bad for my little guy. :(

I'll also order the API general cure just in case!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #17 
Sakura8

I'll be rooting for him. I hope he gets much much better. :)
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #18 
xjenuhfur

This is why I have amazing friends. Sakura can solve everything!
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #19 
Sakura8

You are too sweet, Jen.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 AM   #20 
xjenuhfur

Just don't nom on me! I'm not like a gummy bear or something.

Mmmmm... Gummy bears. <3
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote