Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #21 
Withered

Haha! You guys are so cute! :) I wish I would have known sooner to use the AQ salt instead of the epsoms and the maracyn since it didn't seem to help at all. :( I just want him to get better and I hope it's not too late. I ordered the General Cure and pray that it gets here so that he can have a better chance. I really don't want him to die but he looks so sad and pathetic at the bottom gasping for air. Ugh! Why can't we just have a magic wand we can wave to help our fishes?
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #22 
Sakura8

Epsom salts can help a little with slime coat and parasites but they're more effective for internal issues like tapeworms and internal bacterial infections. Since you weren't sure if he had dropsy, you pursued the right course. Maracyns are an okay med but the problem is they've been used so much that many bacteria have developd a resistance to them. Plus, they aren't as effective in high pH waters. :/

If he has trouble breathing, you can lower the water level to as low as a couple of inches so he can easily reach the surface to breathe. You can also use a medical dose of API Stress Coat or a similar product to help with the slime coat.

You're doing a great job with him and whatever happens, he's well taken care of.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #23 
Withered

*sigh* Okay, so today when I got home from work, I freaked out because I saw what looked like mold on him and he's started to develop some white patches as well. I rushed, put him in a 1 gallon (I think) tank and put the Fungus Cure in there. He's stressed out worse now and I feel horrible but I just freaked out. It didn't help that my sister came over today and looked at him and said, yup..he's going to die. I'm on the verge of tears because I don't want to lose my precious fish but I honestly don't think he's going to make it. I don't have the clove to put him to sleep but I don't want him to suffer anymore. :(
Old 07-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #24 
Sakura8

:( I'm so sorry, Withered. The white patches could be slime coat. When a fish has an external parasite, big white patches of it is often a result. That's why even external parasites can mimic other bacterial diseases like columnaris, aka "cottonwool disease."

It's up to you if you want to remove him from the Fungus Cure or not, depending on how stressed you think he might get.

I'm sorry. If you have a good veterinary clinic nearby, sometimes they will euthanize fish. There is another way involving ice slush but I'm not familiar with it. If you do decide you need to euthanize him, you can PM Oldfishlady for details because I believe she has used that method before.

Otherwise, just keep on doing what you're doing. No matter what happens, you did your very best for him and I'm sure he knows how hard you are trying to make him feel better.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #25 
Withered

I'm just not sure what he has anymore. He has the white patches, heavy breathing...and it looks like he also has the red streaks on his body but it could just be abrasions from rubbing on the rocks because he just lays half on his side on the rocks now. I have the General Cure comming tomorrow, I rushed and got overnight shipping because I was so scared but now I don't know if I should use that or not since I rushed with the Fungus Cure. I feel like i'm going to overmedicate him, but I'm also just praying that something will work. Do you think the AQ salts would have been enough to help with the fungus if thats what he has? I saw a white patch that looked to be comming off of him if that makes any sense. I just don't know...maybe he's really too sick for anything to help him at this point.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #26 
Sakura8

I don't think he has a fungus. Most likely, it's slime coat that he's forming to help him with the externa parasites. White patches like that happen a lot with external parasites. You can take him out of the fungus cure and put him back in water with the AQ salts for now. I definitely do think, based on what you told me about him rubbing on the rocks, that he has parasites. When an infestation gets to be bad enough, they can rub their scales off, rub abrasions like you've seen, and get white patches. If you have API Stress Coat, that will help too. Also, try raising the heat in his tank to 84 F if you can.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #27 
MrVampire181

If it is columnaris, the only luck I've had treating it is with antibiotics and placing the fish outside of the fish room where it's only about 65F overnight. Columnaris hates cold water.

I'd suggest the other treatments first before trying to treat columnaris. If he did have it he'd be gone by now so I'm sure its parasites like Sakura said.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Yes, I agree with MrV. Columnaris typically moves very fast. He wouldn't still be with us if it was columnaris.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #29 
Withered

I think I'm going to leave him in the Fungus Cure for tonight because I'm afraid that taking him out, cleaning the tank again and putting him back in is just going to stress him out more then leaving him. I should get the General Cure tomorrow in the mail and when I clean out his tank I'll try that unless you think I should just clean the tank and put him in AQ salts for a day or two before I try any more meds. I don't know if it will hurt him putting even more meds in there or if the General Cure will allow me to put AQ salts in with it or not. I just feel like i'm putting too much in, but I don't want to just let it sit and not do anything either.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #30 
Sakura8

Hmm. If you choose to go the AQ salt route, try to change the water as often as possible. That's the key to removing the parasites which fall off into the water - gotta remove them before they have a chance to reattach or to multiply. However, if he looks really bad then I would say go straight for the General Cure when it arrives. If you use General Cure, use just that. I believe AQ salt is compatible with General Cure but in this case, it would be best to use just the meds.