Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 12:31 AM   #1 
LizzyP

No power = No heater. Help!

So, the power is out. Great. No water, no AC, no lights, no filter, and no water heater. What do I do? The water temp last I checked was 74, quite a drop from its regular 82. The power probably won't come on until morning. I don't think he die, just be very....grumpy. Help?
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 AM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Have you been affected by that massive storm that tore through the eastern US today, too? A few hours without power won't hurt your fish. Overnight is just fine. The power at my house is out due to the storm, too, so I'm spending the night with friends. If you are afraid that the temp will drop too low tonight, you can wrap a towel around the tank. Don't feed your fish while the power is out to reduce the waste in the aquarium. Betta are very hardy fish. He'll be just fine.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #3 
sparkyjoe

Ah, the few, the proud, the powerless! I'm part of the club. Power not expected here for days.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 AM   #4 
Twilight Storm

If you have a warmer room, or a room you don't need an open window in, you can also move him in there. The tank is a bit on the cool side but he should be ok for a bit. Hope you get power back soon.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #5 
LizzyP

Well, it's 10am and still now power. Betta is fine just very unhappy that I refuse to feed him for now. If no power by tonight I'm taking him to my mothers house.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

this thread sent me into a mini panic mode and check the weather for NY. I have my light on timers while I'm away.
To all those who are suffering without power. I wish your fishies all the best. And thank goodness it's summer. How does power affect water though. Sorry for my ignorance on the matter.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #7 
LizzyP

Well, if you don't have power, you can't run filters/lights/heaters. So, it affects water tempature and filtration. So in turn you have grumpy fish.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #8 
sparkyjoe

Well for me and my fishes we're going on 24 hours without power. I've been out with my BF and the city is a mess. They're saying over 2/3 of the state of Ohio is without power.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

My power came back on around 4a this morning with no repercussions. With the temp as high as it has been, my betta tanks were actually warmer than when I had heaters going. Ohio really is in bad shape right now. I have family that is north of Cincinnati and luckily they have power. Bettas are really hardy fish, and as Taz said they can survive in those horrible cups for so long, a couple of days without power should be okay. My heart goes out to everyone still without power. Let's hope this heat wave lets up and your power comes back.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #10 
teeneythebetta

Wow that fly sucks!! I'm in florida and we've not lost power, even though we had weather from a tropical storm a few days ago..

I hate losing power. My mom doesn't let me open the fridge. She wants to keep the coldness inside so I have to drink warm sink water when the powers out :/
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote