Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #1 
JessSH

Which is better?

Hi. I'm new to the world of fishkeeping & I've been feeding Stell (in my pic) Hikari Biogold for about a month. Not only does is absolutely love it, but his colors are SO much brighter. He's even getting some color back in his body, which was previously a dull brown. I just got Herc (short for Hercules), a sick rescue today from PetCo & when I called my favorite locally owned pet store the owner suggested Omega One instead. Is one better than the other? I feed 4 pellets twice a day, so should I try feeding them both brands? I'm not too worried about Stell, but little Herc is seriously emaciated, so I want to make sure he gets the best. :) Thanks!!
JessSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #2 
tamikakes

Tho I'm new to the fish world, Stell likes them, and you have had luck with your current brand, it doesn't hurt to try. What are the first 2-3 ingredents in the current food? and what is the protein %.
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:39 AM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

They're both good brands :) you can feed one brand in the morning and one at night.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Those brands both seem to be popular, but I highly recommend New Life Spectrum betta formula. It has the best balance of ingredients for a betta in a dry fish food and it's ingredients are highest quality. Trust me I did a LOT of research on the subject.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

+1 to Finnfinn :)
She really did a lot of research about it. Even about the Wholes, Meats, Whole Meats, EVERYTHING. Omega One is better than Hikari. Unless if it's the older kind of Hikari. They changed the ingredients and it's worse. -_-
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
+1 to Finnfinn :)
She really did a lot of research about it. Even about the Wholes, Meats, Whole Meats, EVERYTHING. Omega One is better than Hikari. Unless if it's the older kind of Hikari. They changed the ingredients and it's worse. -_-
Thank you, Lebron :) and a +1 to you too, lol.

Omega IS better than hikari. Hikari now puts MSG in their food, which is just awful and something I would stay away from
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Also, there is an ingredient in hikari called "milt meal". If you don't know what milt is, look it up. Yuck....
Old 07-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine New Life Spectrum, Aqueon pellets and Omega one Betta buffet pellets. I put a mivture of pellets in a small tupperware container and feed them that sometimes, too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #9 
JessSH

I think I'll try the Omega One for awhile because that has more crude protein (42%) and the first 3 ingredients are salmon, halibut & shrimp. Plus I'm getting brine shrimp tomorrow for a treat. I'm going to look into New Life Spectrum too. I think I need to just experiment & find out what works best for me & my boys. :)
Old 07-05-2012, 02:43 AM   #10 
JessSH

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Also, there is an ingredient in hikari called "milt meal". If you don't know what milt is, look it up. Yuck....

I just looked that up....ewwww!!!