Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #11 
sparkyjoe

I'm trying to count my blessings. I sill have my home, I still have my smart phone/internet connection, I still have water. My sister lives more rural and their well won't work without power so her and their 4 small kids are making do. I sent them 8 gallons of water, but that won't last long. Sigh.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #12 
LizzyP

We are on 24 hrs with no power. His tank thermometer is reading between 74-76, which isn't bad. But he's mad as hell because I can't turn his light on and I won't feed him because who knows when his next water change will be. They are saying we can go a week with no power...will be moving betta to moms house tomorrow if we don't have it on by then.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 PM   #13 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Where do all of you live that you're so afraid the water will be really cold? I know a few people on the east coast who don't use heaters in summer, I don't either in AZ. My tanks are 80 degrees just from nothing. Many sites and books I read say anywhere from mid 70's to 82. You guys will probably be fine.

(I know people SAY a degree or two drop might be bad for your fish, but I also know people who never even have used a heater and their fish is going on several years. Not that I recommend it, just that maybe you guys are freaking out prematurely? )

This is meant as a comfort, not a challenge, FYI.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #14 
LizzyP

Well considering my tank dropped from 82-72 in a matter of hours, I am concerned. My house is in the shade, therefore it doesn't get super hot like some do. Plus, I have no water, therefore can't do a partial water change like I'm supposed to. We have been told it could be a week until we get any power back. So no, I'm not "prematurely freaking out" ;)
Old 07-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #15 
thekoimaiden

This storm that blew through Ohio was a bit of a cool front, so the temp did drop below 100F (highs in the 90's). When my power goes out I don't worry unless my betta tanks drop below 70F. While your fish won't be the happiest, they can survive temps down that low. But I am in no way advocating that they be kept at this temp for the extent of a betta's life.

It's great that you still have water, sparkyjoe. That's one of the reasons I don't want to live in the county. Power goes out and so does your water.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

He will be fine for a few hours/days without a heater. He many not be happy about it though but remember they spent days/weeks in cups at a store without a heater. I would think the biggest problems would be for the fish that need to have bubbles or whatever to put oxygen into the water, and those with cycled tanks. No filter going and there goes their cycle.
I actually unplugged my heaters yesterday - their water was creeping up slowly to 86

I live in the country too...very rural area but electricity and water are not connected. If the power goes out, the water still works :D but not the stove :(

Where were these bad storms you are all talking about? Its hot here (NE NY) but we didnt have any bad weather, just hot

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-01-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:53 AM   #17 
thekoimaiden

I completely forgot about the filters. If you have cycled filters, remove the media and put them in the tanks. This will help save the cycle. If you don't have any cycled tanks, don't worry about it. If you have any fish that aren't anabantids (betta or gourami), watch for gasping behavior. The best way to oxygenate the water is pour in new water from a tall height. Or if you can't access clean water, use your finger to stir the water.

Tiki, this was a massive storm system that moved through the middle eastern states yesterday. After leaving Ohio, it turned south towards me instead of north to bother you. :P
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:02 AM   #18 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Tiki, this was a massive storm system that moved through the middle eastern states yesterday. After leaving Ohio, it turned south towards me instead of north to bother you. :P
A thunderstorm did wake me up at like 4 AM yesterday but that was about it. For here, the hottest is supposed to be 86 on thrusday -all other days are low 80's

I think mother nature is pissed off

Last edited by Tikibirds; 07-01-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I had inadvertently left my filter unplugged for three days. I'd found out during my bi-weekly param check (NH3 >0.25ppm). Next day, everything was back to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I think mother nature is pissed off
Yeah...I think she has a right to be.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #20 
LizzyP

Well, since the house is getting hotter and hotter, Dumbledore's tank is now at a comfortable 76-78, and probably rising. I fed him today, just 2 little pellets mashed up because I felt bad. I'm hoping and praying that power comes on soon...We can't even flush the toilets (ew, I know), the house is hot, you stub your toe on every corner because you can't see, and worst of all, you can't shower. Luckily my mom & dad have power so I can at least bathe and chill in the AC for a while. Ugh. </rant>