Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #21 
LebronTheBetta

I went through the massive storm. I had to go through it since I was on a Road Trip from NYC. My dad did a lot of work to drive home. I spent 1 hour through that storm.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 AM   #22 
sparkyjoe

I headed out to Indiana to stay with family since everyone I could stay with in Ohio was also without power. My BF drove, I had a nice visit with my parents then we all headed out to dinner.

We got back to their house and were about to start making beds and settling down to relax when my BF got a call that power was back at his work. So I checked my messages and a neighbor had called earlier to let me know power was back at my place. Sooooooo, we packed up and headed home.

The house smells funky and the AC is working overtime to cool things down, but thank HEAVEN I have lights/AC/ cable!

Also, thank heaven all my fish seem ok. I haven't fed them in a couple days. I'll do a water change tomorrow; I'm too tired to risk it tonight I'd probably muck it up.

Ok, I must rest! I'm thinking of all you that are still being impacted by this storm.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #23 
thekoimaiden

Glad to hear the power is slowly coming back on in Ohio and that your fish seem okay! I hope everyone else's power comes back soon!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #24 
sparkyjoe

Of course now my AC broke, but I still have power, water, and some fans. I finally got a chance to see the Columbus local news and it's bad around town. Really nasty. I'm so thankful I have power back, even if I am really, really warm.
Posted via Mobile Device
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #25 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Incredible! From what I understand, it wasn't even a tornado, just the kind of increasingly violent storm that we are cautioned to expect with climate change.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:58 AM   #26 
Sakura8

Yikes! Stay safe everyone!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #27 
Aahnay

Wow, I never have tv/radio on and miss everything. Glad all is well again.

This does bring up a question though, I will use a ceramic bead bio filter, what care would it need in a power outage? Power outages happen here all the time for an hour to all night.

I hadnt considered what that would mean to the tank/s.

The bio mass needs air, but also water, so without the bubbleater how ofter to allow air in?

I suppose it would be good to have some of those chemical warmers around. Not to put in, but to put next to, even transfer all to smaller tanks with the heaters around them.

In the winter, it can be below 30 and freezing in here o.O
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:39 AM   #28 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Those bacteria are pretty tough; they can go several days with no apparent ill effects. They slowly go dormant, but recover quickly. I don't know how long they'll stay alive without food and qxygen.

Of course, drying them out kills them nearly instantly.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #29 
Aahnay

Lol, thank you... when im done researching small tank heaters, ill start on the bio survival rate/time frame. Would be good to know. Although if they can make it 24 hrs that would work for me.

Ive never tried a hand air pump conversion to the air tube. Hmmm... Ill try that too. Perhaps just a squeeze every time you walk by.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #30 
thekoimaiden

I use a home-made sponge filter that lets me put the bio-media from my tanks in them. Couple that with a battery-powered air pump, you can keep a tank afloat (lol no pun intended) for a while. The only battery-powered air pump that I have seen for aquariums is like $80. You can find much cheaper ones in the fishing section of your local walmart being sold for bait bucket aerators. But I only pull those out after the power has been off for 24 hours. The bio-bugs are pretty hardy things, but I'm more worried about my fish. Goldfish are messy little buggers.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote