For everyone's amusement, here is my first great betta project: a 10 gallon divided tank.
First I went shopping. I dropped by Petsmart to pick up some specialty items (aquarium salt, fungus meds, a couple plants) I couldn't find anywhere else that my fish, Lucky, needed. I didn't see any tanks that fit the bill without costing an arm and a leg, so I headed off to Walmart. There I found a prefect 10 gallon tank with a hood and filter for $30. Nice. I also found the gravel, some neat resin tree logs, needlepoint mesh, silicone sealant, and report binders that I would need to make my divider (office supply section with all of the report covers for anyone that's been looking). Who knew that Walmart would be my fish project shop and for so cheap?
Loaded down with items, I headed back home. The first step was to get the report binders attached to the sides of the tank. It would need at least three hours to cure. It was pretty straight forward, I measured ten inches in, marked on the outside of the tank with a dry erase marker, and glued the binders into place. I added one to the bottom as well to be more secure.
Don't mind the dishes. Or the bottles. The husband has home brewing as a hobby.
Now that the tank was set to cure (please remember that I said it needed three hours to cure before I should mess with it), I needed to clean all of the other goodies I'd bought for the tank.
Plenty of gravel and new plants and the little logs. Everything went into the sink for a very hot water bath. I'm glad the husband wasn't home to watch me put fifteen pounds of rocks through the kitchen sink. Surely it won't be any harder on the garbage disposal then the little incident with turkey bones after Thanksgiving, right?
So now I've cleaned everything and tossed some plants into Lucky's temporary tank for him to play with and I've tested my water parameters with my new test kit and generally have done everything imaginable except put in the divider. In short, I'm now bored. 1.5 hours is enough, right? It doesn't need to be totally cured for this, the mesh will just slide right in . . .
45 minutes and quite a bit of cussing later, I've managed to pop off all of the report binders and have gotten myself covered in silicone. Of course this is when my husband comes in. That mesh certainly does NOT just slide in. I ended up assembling the divider outside of the tank and then sticking it back on with more silicone. My husband thought it was hilarious, but the end results were pretty good.
Lucky observed all of these going ons from his new bed of water wisteria.
Tonight I'm actually going to leave the tank alone and let it cure properly. Tomorrow I'll update with my adventures in decorating and filling my new divided tank. This will include securing live plants, so it should be a riot.
All of this for a $1.99 fish.