Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #11 
Catie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero186 View Post
I noticed in one of the pictures there are plants in tubes. Make sure they say fully submersible or they will rot, and foul your tank.
I've learned that lesson with the 'Aqua fern' incident. These are all plants that I researched ahead of time to make sure I could stick them in the tank. My Petsmart surprised me by clearly labeling the semi-aquatic plants. They also surprised me when a lady refused to sell a fish to someone because they didn't have the minimum requirements.

I was flabbergasted!
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #12 
Catie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldibug View Post
You can also cycle your tank with ammonia. I've heard it works better then with food but I just use Tetra Safestart for bacteria. If you do ammonia you need 100% pure ammonia that doesn't bubble when shaken. You'll also need a medicine dropper. Add 5 drops of ammonia to the water and then test for ammonia. Continue doing this until ammonia reads 5. Keep track of how many drops you add. Add the same amount of drops every day until nitrItes show up. Then you'll only add half the amount of drops until ammonia and NitrIte read 0. At this point your nitrAtes will be very high so do as many water changes as it takes to bring them back below 40ppm. Your tank should cycle in two weeks with this method.
Thanks for the numbers, I need lots of notes to make sure all of the chemicals do what they're supposed to. Unfortuantely I couldn't find any pure ammonia. It always had something else mixed in. But I was in the mood for tamarind glazed shrimp anyway, so I've got a shrimp thawing in the sink to be chucked in.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #13 
ao
TFK Moderator

oooh a decaying shrimp is nooooottt pretty! I hope ur not squimish!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #14 
Catie79

I stuffed it in a bag to make the removal easier. And if it's too bad? I'm making the husband do it. He's not at all squeamish.

That's assuming that this even works. My water has gone very cloudy and I'm hearing that my live plants may make this act oddly. And here I thought the divider was going to be the complicated part of this project!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #15 
ao
TFK Moderator

I once left a dead ghost shrimp in a bottle with an elodea. at first it turned all fluffy then started to fall apart.... it was so ... ew. couldn't even take it out cos it was so gross:/ and that was a tiny shrimp @.@
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #16 
Catie79

Ew. Ew. EW.

I'm definitely making the husband do it. At least I was kind enough to wrap it up for him.

Ammonia's at about .5ppm right now, so at least it's doing it's job!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #17 
Catie79

Well, the shrimp may have been overkill. The ammonia was .5ppm this morning, it hit 2.0ppm tonight. o.o I pulled the shrimp out because if it kept going at that rate, I would have been off the scale of my test kit by tomorrow morning! I'll see what the levels look like tomorrow and toss in a smaller hunk of shrimp once the levels drop off a bit.

There aren't any fish in there, so I can probably try to keep the ammonia nice and high, just not quite that high. And the water's gone all cloudy, not sure about that . . .
Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #18 
GhostFeather

Nice job!
That is how I have all my tanks with my breeders in them,except mine are bare bottom tanks.
One thing I noticed:you have an HOB on the one side,that will draw water through the divider,but you will have no surface disturbance on the other side.
This will cause that side to build a layer of scum to form on the top of the water,you need an airstone on that side just strong enough to disturb the top of the water(keep it moving a little).
That is why I run sponge filters on both sides.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #19 
Catie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFeather View Post
Nice job!
That is how I have all my tanks with my breeders in them,except mine are bare bottom tanks.
One thing I noticed:you have an HOB on the one side,that will draw water through the divider,but you will have no surface disturbance on the other side.
This will cause that side to build a layer of scum to form on the top of the water,you need an airstone on that side just strong enough to disturb the top of the water(keep it moving a little).
That is why I run sponge filters on both sides.
I was worried about that until I put the baffle on the filter. Now with the water being shot right at the divider, the water is moving on both sides. Unexpected benefit to the water bottle technique!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #20 
Catie79

Update!

So it's been a couple days with running the tank and trying this cycling thing. I also added the second anubias and a background so my fish don't have to see me doing the dishes. The tank looks very natural with this background, I love it!

Now I'm waiting for the cycle. I tossed in a batch of Tetra SafeStart to see what it would do, as I'm cycling with no fish so it wouldn't do anything any harm. I replaced the big shrimp with a smaller shrimp so I won't have the ammonia so far off the chart that it impedes the cycle. Keeping it in a sock seems to really minimize the 'ewwwww' factor. Ammonia seems to be dropping off, so the cycle is starting? I'm pretty sure it is. If so, yay! Still testing daily to monitor the situation.

Java moss and hornwort are on the way, so we'll see what plants want to survive in my tank. The java moss is intended for the divider to make sure Lucky and his future neighbor don't stress themselves out posturing. The anubias nana is happy, but it's cousin (another anubias variety) is not doing so good. One of the swords has a hole in it's leaf and I'm worried it's going to disintegrate on me. The microswords are holding up okay, but some are dropping off while they acclimate. I've gone with Flourish as my fertilizer, just a couple drops once a week. So far the water wisteria is holding up in the one gallon, but I'm watching it closely. If that one turns, I'll need to get it out FAST with Lucky in there.

Lucky continues to sit in his one gallon, happily playing with his water wisteria and begging for food every time I go near the kitchen sink. He's quite happy and healthy, so I'm not really in a hurry. Just looking forward to not having daily water changes to manage.