Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #31 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
Holy googledy moogledy, I think I was misreading my ammonia tests. I did a massive PWC (about 75%) and then tested my ammonia again to get 2ppm. I think. I think my ammonia was off the chart and I thought it was just about 5ppm. I'm showing nitrates still, so my tank is trying to process the ammonia but I apparently was approaching pure ammonia in there and my bacteria just couldn't keep up. I may have to do ANOTHER PWC tomorrow, depending on how the ammonia looks.

This stuff is wicked complicated. o.o
hmm, i thought when you get that high spike it was a good sign? and thats when you lowered the amount of daily dose? Good luck, I enjoy this thread a lot. =)
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #32 
Catie79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aahnay View Post
hmm, i thought when you get that high spike it was a good sign? and thats when you lowered the amount of daily dose? Good luck, I enjoy this thread a lot. =)
From what I understand, you're supposed to keep a nice, steady flow of ammonia to feed the bacteria, not turn your tank into window cleaner. But hey, the glass looked fabulous! I officially don't recommend the shrimp method, as I have had nothing but trouble with it.

My java moss arrived today. That was ordered so that I could stick it to the divider and break up the line of sight between the two sides of the tank. Nice and easy, right? Just secure that moss on there with a bit of thread, it's even going on needlepoint mesh, nothing could be simpler! Ever tried to sew moss underwater? Word to the wise, attach java moss to the divider BEFORE installing it in the tank. I swear, the entire point of this project has been to give my husband something to laugh about. I did manage to secure the moss to the divider without stabbing myself too many times and it came out pretty good.

So after getting the water settled and everything stable, Lucky found his butt in the big tank. He seems to think he's died and gone to betta heaven.

As was commented in another thread, the crazy ammonia loads I was putting on the tank didn't make a lot of sense when I was just trying to set up for one little betta. Was it rash to move him in? Quite possibly, but I stand by my decision. I have been struggling to get the ammonia levels right and I'm doing more harm than good. I have bacteria in place, my nitrates are evidence of that. I have quite a few plants in the tank to soak up ammonia (which may also be messing with my readings) and so long as I'm willing to commit to monitoring and water changing as needed, no harm will come to my one little betta.

Well, one little betta for now.

While picking up some more water wisteria, I was bad. I was very, very bad. I found Fly.

So I now have a second male to go on the other side. He's in QT in the one gallon that Lucky used to occupy for now. Looks like he was a bit of a tail biter in his cup, but it's already growing back. He's happily exploring his temporary home.

Now I'm monitoring the big tank to make sure it stays stable and giving Fly some TLC in the bitty tank. Hopefully by next weekend, I'll have my tank fully occupied and settled.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 AM   #33 
kai

love this thread its simplicity of design takes all the worry out of dividing tanks :D
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #34 
Goldibug

I created the same divider for my established tank. I made it slightly wider then the tank so it bows. This way I didn't have to try and silicone it with water in the tank. It's working great! I doubled up the thickness of the mesh so the boys couldn't see each other as well. They've found their own special spot to stare and flare LoL! It's only on occasion throughout the day so I no longer have to do mirror exercises hehe! Here's a pic of them flaring at one another.
Attached Images

Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #35 
MissLyss1024

I'm so glad I found this! I started cycling my 5 gallon yesterday.. It's such a pain! I'm using diluted (with water) ammonia. It's supposed to be a drop per gallon. Ha. 30 drops later I'm finally at 4ppm. I'm looking at my little guy in his 1 gallon bowl and I want to put him in soooo bad! Should I do water changes until the level is down to 0?
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #36 
Goldibug

Doing water changes will dilute the ammonia and slow down the cycle. Don't do a water change during this process unless you see your ammonia going over 5ppm. Keep adding the drops of ammonia until you see nitrItes show up. Then cut your dosing of ammonia in half. Once your ammonia and nitrItes read 0 and your nitrAtes are above 0 below 40 then you'll have a cycled tank! Keep dosing with ammonia once everything is in check until you add your fish. Once you add your fish he'll be producing the ammonia to keep your tank cycle going.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #37 
Catie79

I ended up doing a water change because my ammonia went off the chart. As in over 8ppm, the test couldn't keep up, I was turning my tank into window cleaner. It took a couple changes to get it under control, but that's more of an example of when cycles go bad.

Sometimes I think the purpose of my life is to be a warning to others.

If you're under 5ppm, don't do a change, as Goldiburg said. Hopefully with the ammonia it will be easier to monitor and control. Shrimp suck.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #38 
MissLyss1024

I was thinking I made a mistake cycling it to begin with. I have no idea what I'm doing and want to give up. I know it's not necessary to cycle a betta tank. Hmph. I also, unexpectedly, "inherited" two new bettas who are in awfully bad shape and I would like to set up a tank similar to yours. The idea of sewing moss into the divider is brilliant. It looks so pretty too.
MissLyss1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #39 
Catie79

It's been awhile since I updated, but here's the tank as of today:

Fly is happily settled in as Lucky's neighbor (Fly is on the left, Lucky is on the right). The java moss that was on the divider up and died on me so I had to remove it. There's a second piece of mesh in there to block the line of sight a big more and that seems to be doing the trick. The boys occasionally notice each other but most of the time they just patrol their territories.

Aside from removing the java moss, there were a couple of other changes. There's now hornwort floating along the top of both tanks. Most of the plants seem to be taking hold and showing signs of growth. The water wisteria on the right (from a tube) is really taking off and looking wonderful. The batch on the left came from another source and is growing in new leaves. It's a bit messy while the old ones die off, but the new leaves look lovely. I have new lighting and fertilizer in, so hopefully the plants will just keep getting stronger.

You'd have to look very close, but I'm currently running an experiment with shrimp to see if Lucky and Fly are the hunting types. My tank has three ghost shrimp on each side (you can almost see one under the marimo ball on Fly's side). So far no casualties, though the boys do like to see what the shrimp are up to. If this goes well, the eventual goal is to get some algae eating shrimp in there. The ghosties might get moved to the one gallon to make room, we'll see.

Fly's tail is growing back just beautifully and he hasn't had any bouts of tail biting since I got him. Clearly he's too busy patrolling his territory and making sure there's nothing he could eat in those plants. I think he ate part of a shrimp pellet, so he's going to be fasted for a couple days. Greedy glutton.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #40 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catie79 View Post
It's been awhile since I updated, but here's the tank as of today:

Fly is happily settled in as Lucky's neighbor (Fly is on the left, Lucky is on the right). The java moss that was on the divider up and died on me so I had to remove it. There's a second piece of mesh in there to block the line of sight a big more and that seems to be doing the trick. The boys occasionally notice each other but most of the time they just patrol their territories.

Aside from removing the java moss, there were a couple of other changes. There's now hornwort floating along the top of both tanks. Most of the plants seem to be taking hold and showing signs of growth. The water wisteria on the right (from a tube) is really taking off and looking wonderful. The batch on the left came from another source and is growing in new leaves. It's a bit messy while the old ones die off, but the new leaves look lovely. I have new lighting and fertilizer in, so hopefully the plants will just keep getting stronger.

You'd have to look very close, but I'm currently running an experiment with shrimp to see if Lucky and Fly are the hunting types. My tank has three ghost shrimp on each side (you can almost see one under the marimo ball on Fly's side). So far no casualties, though the boys do like to see what the shrimp are up to. If this goes well, the eventual goal is to get some algae eating shrimp in there. The ghosties might get moved to the one gallon to make room, we'll see.

Fly's tail is growing back just beautifully and he hasn't had any bouts of tail biting since I got him. Clearly he's too busy patrolling his territory and making sure there's nothing he could eat in those plants. I think he ate part of a shrimp pellet, so he's going to be fasted for a couple days. Greedy glutton.
Nice, glad to hear all is better. I wonder why the moss didnt make it, any ideas? I have some too, floating in a Tupperware tub to see if anything came in with it o.O. I want to put mine on a floating island.

Id hate to loose it. Ive read elsewhere others have lost it too, then some say it grows like a weed....
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote