Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #111 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post

Nah, it's fine. I just don't want to see their organs and muscles and stuff.
But that is what vets & vet techs do, surgery. I have witnessed many spays and neuters, and I watched my own cat's surgery after he ate 10 hair elastics. It's bloody and you do see lots of guts. LOTS of GUTS.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #112 
LebronTheBetta

Please no!! :O Well, when I'm in high school, I'll hopefully do the dissection on the worm or something and then I'll see how gross it is. If it's to help animals, I'll do it. <3
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #113 
TheCrabbyTabby

All aspiring vets are required to dissect many different animals during their course of study. Cats, dogs, and even rodents. They need to see the guts and muscles and stuff to study them, touch them, remove them and look at them by themselves and inside them. They need to know what they are and how they look and work and feel. If you can't handle a worm dissection, there is no way you could ever be a vet.
TheCrabbyTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #114 
LebronTheBetta

I can handle a worm, I could even handle a mouse. It's just the blood and it may be my fault if it dies. That's what I worry about. In a few years, I should be able to get used to it.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #115 
dramaqueen
Banned

I remember having to dissect a frog. Lol And in 6th grade we had to dissect a cow's eye.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #116 
TheCrabbyTabby

Being a vet isn't all cuddly puppies and kittens. You have to also deal with death too. There are times when an animal WILL die under your care, or an owner requests them to be put down for one reason or another, usually cost of care or the like. Its then that people skills are required. You have to be able to tell the owner in the nicest, gentlest way possible that their beloved dog or cat or whatever, is no longer alive. There are days when you'll come home crying, depressed, and want nothing more than to crawl in bed and forget everything that happened.

Sometimes animals will come to you bloody, and mangled and still alive. Then you'll have to be the one to piece their tattered bloody body back together and try your hardest to keep them stable and alive. Sometimes it works, sometimes its better to humanely euthanize them. You will be taking the lives of animals one way or another, so get used to it. Find a way to deal with the death. Because its going to happen, with you as the main caregiver to that animal.

Why then, do people become vets if its so depressing. Because there are days when a dog, who had a slim chance of pulling through, does the incredible and starts to pull through and makes it when all conventional medicine says he shouldn't. There are days when you'll WILL be playing with cute little kittens and adorable little puppies. There are days when owners will come to you, with tears of gratitude in their eyes and thank you about a million times for saving the lives of their beloved pet. That is why being a vet is worth while.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #117 
teeneythebetta

A COWS EYE? Dx

I'm in 10th grade and haven't had to dissect anything.

...yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #118 
TheCrabbyTabby

I remember my 5th grade teacher brought in a pig's heart(or was it a cow's?) and we had to take slides of the tissue and look at them under the microscope. It was a science and biology lesson rolled into one. I loved that day.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #119 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrabbyTabby View Post
Being a vet isn't all cuddly puppies and kittens. You have to also deal with death too. There are times when an animal WILL die under your care, or an owner requests them to be put down for one reason or another, usually cost of care or the like. Its then that people skills are required. You have to be able to tell the owner in the nicest, gentlest way possible that their beloved dog or cat or whatever, is no longer alive. There are days when you'll come home crying, depressed, and want nothing more than to crawl in bed and forget everything that happened.

Sometimes animals will come to you bloody, and mangled and still alive. Then you'll have to be the one to piece their tattered bloody body back together and try your hardest to keep them stable and alive. Sometimes it works, sometimes its better to humanely euthanize them. You will be taking the lives of animals one way or another, so get used to it. Find a way to deal with the death. Because its going to happen, with you as the main caregiver to that animal.

Why then, do people become vets if its so depressing. Because there are days when a dog, who had a slim chance of pulling through, does the incredible and starts to pull through and makes it when all conventional medicine says he shouldn't. There are days when you'll WILL be playing with cute little kittens and adorable little puppies. There are days when owners will come to you, with tears of gratitude in their eyes and thank you about a million times for saving the lives of their beloved pet. That is why being a vet is worth while.
I know. I just want to help animals in need. I know that it's not just cuddle time or so. I just want to help people with pets that have sicknesses and recommend better foods or meds for them. I know that not all of them will make it. But at least you tried. And without you, the animal didn't even have a chance. Once I have a dog, I'll see what behaviors will change and how it can get better. There are pros and cons. But being a vet was my dream. And I'll pull through. No matter what.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #120 
TheCrabbyTabby

Okay. Just be aware, Vet school is next to impossible to get through. A lot of students crack only after the first year. Only hard work and perseverance are going to help you make it.