Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #71 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I made my cats a DIY water fountain, it encourages them to drink more.

http://www.tntpuff.com/cat_water_fountain.htm

It cost me about $25 for everything, which is the cost of one of the cheapest cat fountains available and also if the filter breaks, I just have to buy another $10 filter. But if you have a real cat fountain and it breaks you have to replace the entire thing which would cost anywhere from $25-$50.

Sorry I hope you don't mind me posting this... It's not about dogs but it is about animal nutrition since cats have a low thirst drive, and need extra water especially when fed dry food. xD
That's awesome! My mother bought one of the cheaper fountains for my sister's cat because she would jump in the kitchen sink and beg for water until you turned the faucet on because she likes to drink from a stream, lol.

My cat never cared if he drank out of the fountain or the dog bowl. If you set water in front of him, he'll immediately drink at least a few tongue-fulls, haha. He's always been a big drinker, thankfully. But I still kind of want to make one just because it's cool!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #72 
teeneythebetta

Lol yeah. It's sad when the bowl your cat's water in is the size of a some betta's homes.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #73 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I made my cats a DIY water fountain, it encourages them to drink more.

http://www.tntpuff.com/cat_water_fountain.htm

It cost me about $25 for everything, which is the cost of one of the cheapest cat fountains available and also if the filter breaks, I just have to buy another $10 filter. But if you have a real cat fountain and it breaks you have to replace the entire thing which would cost anywhere from $25-$50.

Sorry I hope you don't mind me posting this... It's not about dogs but it is about animal nutrition since cats have a low thirst drive, and need extra water especially when fed dry food. xD
I did this too after watching them all drink from my winter fountain . I just used the smallest air filter. I put it in a very big glass/vase. OH, i bet i could put a betta in there! Im joking lol.

Yes, those grinders can be expensive, when i went through that website for my male cats, I found one on amazon for about 49, iirc. But, because of my small space, and where I live, and after testing them on raw food, both grocery store purchsed, and premade, I decided against it.

Only one like raw, the others nibbled a bit. And none would touch the prepackaged raw I purchased from the local coop. I tried about every other meal. I heated, it, i cooked it and non cared for it. The dogs loved it though

I used the canned cat food site that site listed to find better canned for my males. Its more expensive but worth it. But now that i have so many cats I cannot afford it.

They are all strays, the neighbors dog way, way down the road, killed the uncles mother, and then their mother. I was on the roof, roofing when i saw him carrying their mother back to his place.

When i had this dog in hand when it had ate 2 of my hens, I called the police. It was a sweet dog, lol. Didnt understand why i was yelling at it.

The officer begged me not to do a complaint, saying many people here dont understand that off property dogs must be on leashes. I finally said fine.

I regretted it every sense. Sorry i digress.

I was going to raise mouse for my cats to eat, but when i was going to that, the vet said no, as the older cats can have problems with the tiny bones. And in fact, my old one (adopted when he was 10, my Lion, he truly looke like a lion) got sick and I took him in.

She did a fast exray, and said it looks like a feather, or a mouse bone. She believed he could pass it, and gave me something, I cant recall now, and we went home to wait.

After two days, almost headed back to the vet it happened. And he started eating again.

Sorry.. Ill stop chatting now, lol.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #74 
kfish

My cat loooves raw chicken or cooked chicken or just ANY chicken, lol. I feed him the raw chicken scraps when I trim chicken. For the grinding, I'm going to cook the outside a bit just to make sure there's no surface bacteria and that way he'll still get a raw inside. I'm excited to start it. He's healthy as is, but I know he could be healthier!

Interesting that older cats can have problems with tiny bones. I'll be grinding the chicken thighs bones and all, so I'll have to make sure it's finely done.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #75 
Aahnay

OH, yes they all love cooked chicken breast, but not the thighs. Its so crazy.. I love the thighs, but only eat the breast. I bought organic thighs for them several times, and nada. Although Pooka did eat some one time.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #76 
Sapphoira

High quality raw food diet! Usually can be obtained from specialty pet supply stores, and sometimes dog trainers. I feed my dog a combination of raw food, and blue buffalo grain free food. And canned pumpkin, because before we adopted him he had a horrible parasite load that left an impact on his gastro-intestinal system. It wasn't until we started feeding raw, grain-free, and pumpkin that his poop even resembled a solid!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #77 
toad

This thread is a few weeks old, but I thought I'd add my $0.02, since I have spent many an hour looking in to this topic.

I feed my dog Wellness, and have for years. At this point, he can only eat the Simple Wellness line, because he's developed food allergies. The ingredients in Wellness are high quality, and nutritionally appropriate for a dog. They have multiple lines of dog foods to meet the needs of different dogs (like the allergy dogs, for example).

It's been a while since I've updated myself on brands, but I know that Merrick was considered a good one. Solid Gold was considered one of the top foods, but a year or two ago, I tried it and it upset Toad's stomach; when I looked into this, I found other people complaining of the same thing with their dogs. Innova was another one that everyone loved.

I don't know if anyone has posted this link already, so I'll throw it in here:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #78 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I don't know if anyone has posted this link already, so I'll throw it in here:
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
That's a very cute dog
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #79 
Sapphoira

Wellness is definitely a quality food. Generally the top brands are pretty similar I think, but within the top brands I highly recommend going grain-free!
Sapphoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #80 
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
That's a very cute dog
Aww thanks! That's Toad; he's my baby.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote