Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #31 
tpocicat

Depends on the shape of the bettas when you get them. Personally, I would wait at least two weeks to condition them first.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #32 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover101 View Post
Since this is my first time actually importing a pair from Thailand I decided to see how long other people were waiting to breed them since they go through shipping.

I was reading and a few people were saying that they would breed their pairs as soon as they arrived or, at the latest, a day later.

So, I was wondering, why do breeders do this? Also, should I be doing this or just wait a week while I condition?

You need to fatten them up a bit first. Clean water + Well fed = ready to do their business! At least a couple days.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #33 
BettaLover101

Alrighty, they are readily eating the live bloodworms that I have been giving them. ^_^ The male is so funny to watch because he repeated will spit out and try to eat one worm at a time and I guess he doesnt like that they wriggly around in his mouth.

I'll probably move the pair into the breeding tank on Friday around noon so long as they both look well fed and happy. I haven't seen any signs of stress on them since they arrived. They both come right up to the front of their tanks the second I approach. ^_^ So cute <3
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #34 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover101 View Post
Alrighty, they are readily eating the live bloodworms that I have been giving them. ^_^ The male is so funny to watch because he repeated will spit out and try to eat one worm at a time and I guess he doesnt like that they wriggly around in his mouth.

I'll probably move the pair into the breeding tank on Friday around noon so long as they both look well fed and happy. I haven't seen any signs of stress on them since they arrived. They both come right up to the front of their tanks the second I approach. ^_^ So cute <3
Live bloodworms? or tubifex? I have heard some bad things about tubifex.

I have not seen live bloodworms.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #35 
BettaLover101

Sorry my mistake. My mom had been telling me bloodworms so I thought nothing of it and didn't check the form. They are black worms, so no worries about tubifex. ^_^

Last edited by BettaLover101; 07-12-2012 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:59 AM   #36 
jeffegg2

Cool

There are also many warnings about black worms....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=102884

They harvest them out of the sewer?
Old 07-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #37 
BettaLover101

These ones are brought in by one of the local betta breeders so I highly doubt they are from the sewers XD They are captive bred cultures and I've never had any problems with them before. ^_^
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #38 
WetBetta

I usually wait about 2 weeks before I attempt to breed a new fish for a couple of reasons. Mainly, to allow them to "settle" in. But also to make sure they are not diseased or have anything that would prevent me from breeding them.

Good luck in breeding!! Be sure to post pics of the fry and juvies. They are beautiful fish... I'd be interested in a pair from yours.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #39 
tpocicat

My blackworms are bought at a local FS. They actually come from a blackworm farm here in California. I've never had any trouble feeding my fish blackworms, and they love them!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #40 
WetBetta

Personally, I think diversity and moderation are the keys. Too much of any one thing could lead to problems. My mature fish, juvies and fry all get a diversified diet of several different types of food. However, when I am pumping up a pair for breeding I tend to give more blood worms than anything else.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, dragon, halfmoon, red, white