Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #41 
BettaLover101

Ya in terms of feeding I've been giving them freeze-dried daphnia in the morning, live blackworms in the afternoon, and then freeze-dried bloodworms at night. So far neither of them are showing any signs of illness or stress so that's a good sign and they are readily eating anything I feed them.

Looking at my breeding tank now, as it has been outside for a couple weeks with no fish in it, mosquito larvae has hatched and they are swimming around in there so I'm debating whether or not to set up a new breeding tank tonight and then leaving it for a couple days to allow for the water to turn green. What do you all think I should do?
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:41 PM   #42 
WetBetta

I would be reluctant to use that tank. Where I live dragon flies lay eggs in the same places as mosquitoes... which are deadly for bettas, so I've read. So, I wouldn't use it. But, conditions may be different where you are.

I also avoid all freeze dried foods. Air. I know you can soak them in water and such... but I personally just had really rather go with frozen foods and pellets. And I don't feed as often. But I know everyone has their own ways.

They are nice looking fish. And I am serious about obtaining offspring.
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #43 
jeffegg2

Cool

I'm sure your fish would love those live mosquito larva...
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #44 
BettaLover101

Okay, I'll leave the tank alone then. ^_^ Thanks
Old 07-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #45 
jeffegg2

Cool

I mean to feed them to the adults, not the fry.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM   #46 
BettaLover101

Okay well I'll get a jar with a lid, fish them out and put them in the jar and then feed them to this pair in the mornings. Does that sound good?
Old 07-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #47 
jeffegg2

Cool

Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #48 
BettaLover101

Alrighty, quick update.
I ended up dumping out the container and starting fresh. I added aquasafe to the water in the container and the jar for the female. I also added some of the green water from my 20 gallon bucket that my mollies are in into the spawning container and jar. Lastly, I added some IAL extract as well as one of the leaves to the container. So, all seems good so far.

I fed some of the mosquito larvae to my bettas and they went nuts over them. XD I think it's their new favourite food. My female is super duper fat with eggs now, she looks like she might explode even and my male is looking happy and chubby as well.

So around 5 I think I will put the female into her jar and the male into the container so that he can start flirting and building a nest. Then, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon, so long as every seems alright, I will release the female and cross my fingers. X_x I'm already nervous just thinking about it.

I'll post a few pictures later on today of the pair into their container. ^_^
Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #49 
BettaLover101

Photos!!!

Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #50 
BettaLover101

I released the female at noon this morning. The male still hasn't bothered to build a bubble nest. For the most part they are just swimming around the container minding their own business. Did I do something wrong? Should I still leave them together for the next four days? Is there anything I can do to induce breeding?

Tags
black, dragon, halfmoon, red, white