Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #1 
freeflow246

Cleaning a tank after a fish death?

My fish died recently and I would rather not throw out everything that was in his tank. He drowned so he wasn't sick and leaving germs everywhere, but he was in the tank for anywhere between a night and almost 24 hours before I realized that he was dead and not just hiding in his cave (long story just check my thread in the memorials if you're curious).

While his body shows no signs of decay (it hasn't been THAT long), there is a white film on a lot of his decor. I plan on boiling water and adding a bit of bleach to clean the thermometer pebbles/river rocks. Same for the tank.

How much bleach should I add? How long should I keep the stuff in the water? And how long before the tank and decor is safe for use?
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Usually all that you need to do is make some good water changes with vacuuming the substrate before you add the new Betta...

What size tank, filter, live plants??? any other livestock in the tank...like shrimp and/or snails....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 
Kenny G

I always discourage people from using bleach to clean and sterilize a tank. It's always best to use hot water, aq salt and vinegar. The vinegar is all natural and is non toxic and safe for fish. Fill the tank (or bucket) up with all the items (decorations, fake plants, gravel etc) add the hot water, aq salt and vinegar. Let it sit for a couple of hours then repeat the process twice. Afterwards rinse well twice. Set up the tank add conditioned water and check your ph levels 24 hours before adding any new fish.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #4 
freeflow246

Hmm. I might use aq salt and vinegar then. Although I have used bleach several times to knock out super aggressive algae and my fish were fine. Used a very small amount of bleach and rinsed super well.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote