Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #1 
Tallulah86

How difficult in comparison to goldfish?

How difficult are Betta's to keep compared with goldfish?

I was thinking of getting a Betta, I'm not sure whether to buy a 20L or to wait a while until my goldfish has out grown his 54L tank (he is alone, growing like there is no tomorrow and I intend on buying him a goldfishy friend so probably will be six months max).
Tallulah86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Bettas cannot be kept with goldfish
if that is what you are implying, which that is what it sounds like

as far as maintaining water levels/keeping the tanks clean, ive found bettas to be a walk in the park compared to goldies.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #3 
Tallulah86

No I wasn't intending keeping them together. What I meant was once I have re-housed my goldfish in a bigger tank I could use the old tank for the Betta or I could buy a 20L now for the Betta which would eliminate the wait.

I was thrown into fish keeping by my friend who decided to buy me a goldfish as present. I had to buy a tank as she was thoughtless enough to put him in a vase, so it was an expensive gift. Two months later he is almost double in size and I'm enjoying fishy company. I'd like a second tank with fish that are less up keep.

Last edited by Tallulah86; 06-30-2012 at 01:43 PM.
Tallulah86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 
eaturbyfill

I have a Betta and a Goldfish, and the Goldfish is SO messy. Bettas are lower maintenance as far as waste production goes (as long as they are given a decent amount of space and not a tiny tank), you just have to make sure they have a heater, etc.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:57 PM   #5 
teeneythebetta

Yes like mentioned above goldfish make lots of messes = more water changes. Plus common gold fish need a 30 gal tank at full size, where as bettas do well in 2.5 gal + with the right water changes IMO.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #6 
Chrexis

I believe you would love yo have a betta, they are intelligent and have unique personalities. You would enjoy it's company.
Chrexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hi and welcome to the forum, Tallulah86.

Since goldfish reach 8 inches or more, depending on the type, they need tanks as large as 20-30gal or more with double or even triple filtration and lots of water changes. Bettas, on the other hand, stay nice and small at 2-3 inches and can live comfortably in an unfltered tank from 1 gallon on up (the bigger the better). The only requirement a betta asks for his home is to have it heated to a temp of 78-80 F.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Goldfish have a tendency to grow like weeds and eat like pigs. My newest goldfish eats like 3-4 times a day. He becomes a shark when the food hits the water.

In terms of care, I agree with everyone that betta are much easier to keep than goldfish. My goldfish tank requires the most water changes, specialized food, and specialized plants. As an example, by volume I remove more water on a weekly basis from my goldfish tank than I do from my two 10 gallon (37 L) betta tanks.

A betta in a 20L (6 gal) tank would be a great fit. Perfect size :)

Quick question, is your goldfish a fancy goldfish (double tail, chubby body) or a common goldfish (single tail, slim body)? This impacts the final size tank you would need. Hopefully we can help you keep the final tank size down.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote