Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #1 
arin

Velvet

Hey Guys....Well Handsome Dude has velvet i can actually see without shinning a flash light on him...besides all the gold specks on him he is doing fine....i'm wondering about treatment I went to my local pet store looking for a treatment for velvet and they had nothing and read in the sticky that use can use the treatment that you use for ick. but he said that if it didn't work it could possibley kill him....he advised that i use AS......right now he is in a 5G tank it is cycled water has betta conditioner and an almond leaf. I did add 1 teaspoon of AS. Can yous let me know if I should keep up with the AS and see if it helps and how much. Or if i should try something else.
arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

From my site:

"
May also be known as Rust, or Gold Dust. The symptoms and lifecycle of velvet is similar to ich.
Signs: Like ich, it can be found in small traces in the healthiest of tanks. But it will attack any unhealthy, or stressed fish. You may not be able to see velvet easily, unlike ich. Shine some light on the fish, and even use a magnifying glass to see the gold dust on your fish. Advance stages their skin begins to peel.

Take action immediately. Sometimes this is not diagnosed before the fish is in the advanced stage. Once detected, immediately raise the temperature (about 82-84 F), Take out your carbon filter cartridge, dim the lights, begin using Aquarium Salt, and treat with Copper Sulphate for ten days. Jungle also makes velvet medication. Instructions should be on the back of the item."
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cure, velvet