Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #1 
Gen2387

Leaving on a trip for 1 week. Need opinion!

So my sis and me are leaving for 1 week on a trip. Between the 2 of us, we have 4 tanks at home. Two 5gallons, one 3gallons and one 2gallons. They are all heated and filtered. For the duration of the week, my dad will have to take care of our fishies. We usually feed about 6 pellets (they are small pellets) morning and night.

Sooooo my question is: Is it okay if for that week only we feed them once a day 8 pellets in the morning? Because my dad doesn't particularly love fish but he still promised to take care of them so I want to make it as easy and quick for him as possible.
Also, we will make water changes in all the tanks, the night before we leave (we leave early in the morning). I'm not worried at all for the 5 gallons because we always do 1 water change a week and I'm not really worried for my 3 gallon either because I've tried it before and once a week wasn't a problem. But the 2 gallon with the little female worries us a little. Does it matter if we only change it before we leave and then 1 week later?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

8 pellets is a lot... I'd just tell him to drop in 4 pellets, you don't want to risk over feeding. For the 2 gallon it should be cleaned weekly. So, clean it before you go, and when you come back.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I dont think its a good idea to feed that much at once they could get bloated since they are not used to eating that much at one time. As far as the tanks go I only have one 5 gallon so I dont know how to help you there.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 
Gen2387

Okay so I'll just feed like 5 or 6 pellets once a day. Thanks guys!
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #5 
Mo

I wouldn't even feed. For a 2.5 you would need x2 weekly water changes. If you don't feed. They produce less waste. Meaning that there is a less chance of the levels of ammonia getting toxic
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

I'm with Mo. I've heard too many stories of people coming back from a trip to overfeed bettas because the caretaker simply didn't understand fish. It's much safer to just not feed.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote