Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #1 
miikexo

Betta just sits in one spot almost all day?

My betta seems to be sitting in the same spot just about all day, when I feed him he will come and get some food but then he just goes back to the same spot, up in the left hand corner of the bowl I'm wondering what is up with him I just got him on Friday June 29th so he is fairly new.. hes not floating so I dont think its a swim blatter problem and hes not on his side at all hes just plain sitting there.. any suggestions?

miikexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #2 
Meggie6347

How big is the tank? Filter? Heater? Water change schedule?

If you tell us these things we may be able to help a bit more
Meggie6347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #3 
Kenny G

I agree with Meggie6347 need more info. But from what I see you it looks like a unheated bowl, with no filter. If you just got him Friday you have only had him 1 full day so no need for water change yet. I assume you are treating the water with a conditioner?
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
miikexo

hey I think I know the problem the water is to cold.. the guy at the petstore said I dont need a heater.. his water is at 70.0 F

His tank is 1 Gallon, no filter no heater and water change once every 2 weeks as told by the petstore.. I hope im not gonna kill him :(

@kenny G yes im using conditioner
Old 06-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #5 
Kenny G

Some pet store workers are STUPID. Yes I would get the little guy a heater. Betta's are tropical fish and need to be in water between 78-82 degrees F. In a tank with no filter I would suggest you do daily water changes. To ease the stress of water changes get a 1 gallon water bottle fill it and treat it with conditioner ahead of time. I would say change it every 3-4 days. If you have gravel/decorations change about 25-50%f of the water. Do not do 100% water change because betta's develop good bacteria in the tanks that they need. FYI Petsmart has a small Marina betta 8w heater that is perfect for 1-1 1/2 gallon tanks. Its 10.99 with free petsmart card. Check Petlanddiscounts, Walmart, Target you fill find small heaters. If you have minimal decorations you can get a whisper 3i filter which does not take up a lot of space.

Best wishes and enjoy
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Noooo wait! DO change 100% of the water once a week! Also change 50% mid week. This is an excellent tested and proven successful formular for betta keeping by OldFishLady. prepare water before hand is good, try to have he new water the same temperature as the old. or it will shock the poor fish.
He does not need a filter, it will do nothing for him in a 1 gallon, and he wont appreciated the current in the small area. until you purchase a heater, put him in the warmest part of your house with a stable temperature.
You donot really need any aquarium gravel. gravel is another hassel to clean.

Never clean with soap. just rinse with hot water when cleaning the Jar.
After you purchase the heater, make sure you are raising the temperature slowly.

Don't over clean :) stick to the water change schedules and you should be fine

Also recommended feeding is twice a day, 2 pellets/feeding. treats such as freeze dried blood worms once a week instead of pellets. And one food free day.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 
miikexo

UPDATE - Doing better with heater

My betta is doing much better with the heater it is slowly heating up his bowl right now its at 76.7 and he seems content, he's moving around and not just sitting in the corner of the bowl anymore yay! :)