Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #1 
Purple

Can You Eat Fish?

After I got my fish betta, I found it hard to eat fish. I was partially grossed out because seeing her out of water is GROSS, and partially heartbroken because I now know that fish are intelligent and each have their own personallities. I still have to eat fish because I have a very restrictive diet (no meat is part of it) and if I don't I feel fatigued and weak from lack of protein.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I went through 4 years of college studying fish and have been keeping fish for 7 years. Fish are my life. It's never bothered me to eat fish. Part of what I studied in college is where our foodfish comes from. The harvesting practices of many wild foodfish turn me off of fish way more than keeping fish ever did; some of the methods used to harvest fish are indiscriminate killers and destroy everything they come in contact with. Instead of giving up fish, I only eat sustainably harvested or grown fish or fish that I catch myself.

You have to understand that the conditions we keep fish in are very different from the conditions in which they live in the wild. While our tanks can have as much as 20 ppm nitrate, the native waters typically have so little nitrate that it is hardly testable with even professional kits. The water there is so much cleaner than that in our tanks.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #3 
DazedBetta

Yeah I can still eat fish but ive heard of some really bad stories on how they harvest the fish.
DazedBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:12 AM   #4 
Luimeril

i can't eat fish. but not because of my bettas. 8U it makes me sick to my stomach when i eat any kind of fish or seafood, so.... :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 AM   #5 
xShainax

I wasn't a big fish eater before but now I can't eat it
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I eat fish. It's a fish eat fish world!
I just have a thing about eating Atlantic fish. >.< Pacific is bad enough but how much can you limit yourself?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #7 
lvandert

I love fishing, cleaning and cooking fish. Nothing is better than a fresh caught trout cooked within hours of being in the river IMO. It's not unusual for people to tend to stray away from eating things they love lol. People who love bunnies don't eat bunny, people who love birds don't eat birds, etc etc. I've got a few friends like that but I guess I have a definite line between pet and food, although food can become a pet lol. I've kept sunfish, large mouth bass and catfish as pets before
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:04 AM   #8 
teeneythebetta

No! And not only because I keep fish; but because my parents have forced me to eat it before and it tasted DISGUSTING. Also my old house had a Cory with bass in it, and I've seen WAYYY too many bass get their heads cut off
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #9 
lvandert

I didn't like fish when I was young. But as I got older I started to really like it. I don't think parents should force their kids to eat something if they really don't like it. My mom tried that once and my dad got on her and told her to quit it. I'm sorry they did that to you. I know the feeling.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #10 
djembekah

The first time i ate a fish sandwich from fast food place after getting Swish, i felt kinda weird, but then i realized that it wasn't like i was having fried bettas, or even any of the other fish i now keep. Not sure how i'd feel eating other animals related to my pets, though i'd probably get used to it/over it.

i will say i really don't know anything about the practice of fish being harvested though.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote