Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #1 
betta fan21

to everyone who wants a budget betta buddy.

by experience, i know that there are people out there who think they cant afford to buy the things needed to keep a betta in a good eviroment. i understand about not getting a fish if you cant afford him, but there are easy ways to house your bettas and keep them happy! so i decided to make this post to help people make a good enviroment for their betta!

1. size: it is an established myth that bettas do not require large spaces to survive. that is true, but how would you like it if you only got paid enough to survive? or if you only ate when you had to? what if you lived in barely enough space to lay down? what drives me crazy is that people would pay 25 dollars for a 3.6 liter betta bubble on amazon, when you could get a 5 gallon pet keeper on the same website for 10 dollars?
if design is the issue, why not go to petsmart and buy a ten gal tank for $10( i am not sure if this deal counts every where, but if it does, it is $1 per gal after you hit 10 gallons.)? people on this website understand that you shouldn't get a pet if you plan on saving space. if that is the case, just get a pet rock!!

2. gravel: personally, i can get river rocks out side, but you can go to your lps(local pet store) and buy big bags of gravel for about 10 or 20 dollars for 10 or 20 pounds.

3. plants: Go fake!!!! amatuers shouldn't deal with live plants. they are not needed in a tank, but are useful as hiding places. i used to have a betta named prince and he love this red faux plant. on amazon, you can also put in caves for your betta to hid in.

4. filters and heaters: bettas do not neccesarily need filters but if you dont get one, i would reccomend cleaning the cage once a week regardless of the tank's size.
if you ant afford one from the start, i would reccomend saving up money to buy a filter and a heater later.

5 shape: people have told me that they like small tanks, because they live in puddles in the wild, but i have seen rice patties before, and they are pretty deep and bettas still have LOADS of space to swim in. i would reccomend squat tanks.
betta fan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Quote:
why not go to petsmart and buy a ten gal tank for $10
That's great IF you have a petsmart or petco but if you live in say, Alaska like I did for 12 years - no way in hell are you getting a 10 gallon for $10. Think more like $40 for just the basic tank - no filter, no heater, no nothing. I'm assuming Hawaii also has overinflated prices as well. Order online? do you really want to pay the shipping on a 10 gallon tank?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:59 AM   #3 
deso

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta fan21 View Post
people on this website understand that you shouldn't get a pet if you plan on saving space. if that is the case, just get a pet rock!!
This I take a bit of offence to. Not all of us live in places where spaces are so large as to be astonishing and wasteful. Where I live, most young people are in 120 to 370 square foot flats with no space for a 10 gallon tank, nor any way to transport it safely, since driving conditions here are nothing short of suicidal and it costs 2000 euros + 2 or 3 years for a full driver's permit. In a walk-up apartment in the middle of the city, imagine a single girl trying to lug a 10 gallon glass aquarium through the subway and up six flights of stairs! I personally make do with a filtered 2 gallon for my one betta. For me, budget is not a restriction, but space definitely is. Judging from the amount I've spent on my one fish so far, I shudder to think what it must be like for people trying to keep tropical fish on a strict budget here.

Like Tikibirds in Alaska, we also don't have PetSmarts and PetCos, and prices are heavily inflated. A 5 gallon barebones non-design tank without filter or heater can run you 35 euros (45 USD) here. Just imagine the postage costs if you were to order a larger aquarium online. Not a great thought.

We people living in the city love fish as well, and we try to give them the best life possible with the limited space we have. I am in no way condoning keeping a betta in a tiny quart container, but please be more understanding that not all of us have nearly unlimited space or live in certain parts of the USA with all of its conveniences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I'm assuming Hawaii also has overinflated prices as well. Order online? do you really want to pay the shipping on a 10 gallon tank?
And you're right about this, Tikibirds. Don't get me started on shipping costs. I grew up there.

Last edited by deso; 07-01-2012 at 03:07 AM.
deso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #4 
staffylover

Prices obviously differ in the US.
I paid 60 for each of my betta tanks, one was with heater and filter the other only with filter. However both my tanks have heaters.

I would never consider keeping them in unheated tanks, however our country does have different temperatures to the US. One thing that is a no no is keeping them without a filter and I am not sure why you would suggest buying one at a later date

As for plants, I keep all my tanks planted with live plants and I am an amateur, not sure I understand your reasoning behind this?
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #5 
SweetNightmare

Here a 2.5 gallon is $12, so obviously a ten gallon is going to be more. If someone can only afford a 2.5 gallon, so be it, as long as they get it an appropriate heater. The rule is a gallon of water per inch of fish, generally. Sometimes, as much as we love them, we need to step back and say 'This is a fish. An extremely hardy fish that does perfectly fine in smaller tanks due to its weaker swimming strength.' It's like people who disagree on how much space a pocket dog needs. Some people say their tiny apartment is room enough. Some say that all dogs must have a backyard. Yes, it is bare minimum. But if I can live in a car that I can barely stretch out in, surely my betta is comfortable in his 2.5 where he has room to swim. Gravel is not necessary, I got plants that had rocks attached to the bottom to make them sink originally. Caves are easy, find a mug you don't particularly like, rinse it really well, possibly with even a vinegar solution, and let it dry a couple of days, then put it in the water, and TADA, cave. There are better answers than just treating people like small children.
SweetNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #6 
kfryman

Remember when your going to try to make a thread account for other people. For me, I can easily get like everything I need as I live in the 48 and a city, but remember there are people in other places that everything is much more expensive. If you want the thread to actually help people, your thread is pretty basic (No offense), but all the stuff listed is common sense. Prices vary so much so don't bother listing them.

I admit some people on here have hard times just getting supplies but they love their fish a lot. A 2 gallon tank, heck even a 1 gallon tank is fine with me as long as water changes are done. A clean 1 gallon tank is much better for a betta then a betta in a 55 gallon tank with no water changes.

Live plants aren't hard, the thing most people don't wanna do is more work, as in researching what plants are good with their lighting. I have a tank that I havent had to do a water change in over a month because I have live plants and they suck up all the ammonia and everything, so live plants, in IDEAL conditions will make an aquarium much better.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:31 AM   #7 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffylover View Post
Prices obviously differ in the US.
I paid 60 for each of my betta tanks, one was with heater and filter the other only with filter. However both my tanks have heaters.

I would never consider keeping them in unheated tanks, however our country does have different temperatures to the US. One thing that is a no no is keeping them without a filter and I am not sure why you would suggest buying one at a later date

As for plants, I keep all my tanks planted with live plants and I am an amateur, not sure I understand your reasoning behind this?
+1
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

IME plants and decent lighting might actually save you a bit in the long run. I calculated that my cfls costs at max $10 a year to run. if you get some easy to grow fasr growing plants, you can even sell the trimmings.
If you dont want plants? bettas just need somewhere to hide, anything non toxic and doesnt contain parts where the bettas will get themselves stick is sufficient.
tanks can be as cheap as you want or as expensive as you'd like. infact any non toxic 1 gal+ contain 2.5 gallons are great.
as for filters. you dont need one
gravel? dont really need that either
heaters? 25w for under 6USD from ebay. ships to most parts of the world.
Everyone has a different aesthetic requirement for their betta's housing. those who wants it transparent, spends a little more on the initial costs. whilst those who just want to interact with their fish are can
make anything work :) For me, I like a middle ground. not too tacky is good enough.

So what's an example of a cheap tank? I walked into my local Mall yesterday and found a beautifully clear 1 gallon lunch box for only $5. now just to test the 15w heater in there... lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Lots of good ways to successfully keep this species of fish and just because a person is limited on funds or space shouldn't keep them from keeping a Betta.

Especially the long fin male-for one, these guys are nothing like their wild cousins-With years and years of selective breeding to develop the long unnatural fins-The long fin males we keep today could not survive in the wild and due to the unnatural long fins that are often very delicate-they tend to do better in a smaller container without any water movement.

The long fin male will do fine in a 1gal unfiltered tank long term IMO/E and it can often be less stressful on them since it can sometimes be hard for them to carry the heavy fins. I see so many post about how a well meaning keeper placed their beautiful long fin male in the larger tank with a filter and within a week he has tattered fins, lethargic and stopped eating and the keeper wants to know why.....Not all long fin males have issues with the space and water movement...but some do.....Its like the flag in the wind effect in some regards and for some long fin males-they have never been in space larger than half gallon from 10 weeks of age-the stress of carrying the heavy fins and fighting the current can compromise the immune response. Sometimes the larger tank need to be done in step in order for them to tolerate it.

You can have water quality issue in larger tanks just as you can have in smaller tanks....Its all about proper care....

Heating....you may or may not need a heater, however, its a good idea to have one on hand-your goal is to maintain a somewhat stable temp in the 76-80F range. A healthy Betta can tolerate the normal temp swings that are often seen with day and night and in the different levels of the tank.

Filters-IMO/E these are optional for this species-especially with the long fin male being kept in the smaller tank-sometimes they can cause more harm than good.....

You should only be limited by your imagination and creativity in creating the special environment for our long fin male Betta...not funds and space.....in my humble opinion..........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #10 
Aus

Quote:
so i decided to make this post to help people make a good enviroment for their betta!
Well, your intentions are good. However:

Quote:
what drives me crazy is that people would pay 25 dollars for a 3.6 liter betta bubble on amazon, when you could get a 5 gallon pet keeper on the same website for 10 dollars?
Yeah. I paid arounf --$200-- for my 3.5 cube plus plants, heater, all necessary accessories. It's isn't money, all the time. AND my fish is REALLY healthy and happy in there, thank you very much. Because I take VERY good care of her environment.

That's why I don't WANT to get her a bigger tank.

Quote:
people on this website understand that you shouldn't get a pet if you plan on saving space. if that is the case, just get a pet rock!!
I --did--- plan on a 3.5 g space.

Quote:
personally, i can get river rocks out side, but you can go to your lps(local pet store) and buy big bags of gravel for about 10 or 20 dollars for 10 or 20 pounds.
What?

Quote:
plants: Go fake!!!! amatuers shouldn't deal with live plants. they are not needed in a tank, but are useful as hiding places.
Actually, live plants are much better for the fish and the water. Not 100% essential but better all round than glue and dyed fabric alone. That's a fact.

And there's a stack of 'easy' plants for beginners, anyone can grow them -- I did.

Quote:
bettas do not neccesarily need filters but if you dont get one, i would reccomend cleaning the cage once a week regardless of the tank's size.
Cage. Once a week. Sure.

I really get where you heart is at? But most of your post is .. wrong. Or doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Aus; 07-01-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote