Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #11 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamikakes View Post
so he/she will have a long flowy tail!? that kinda excites me cause those are one of my faves! from the pics, I really like the half sun, double veil, and crown tails!

lol, it's like being pregnant, saying you don't care if it's a boy or girl, as long as it's healthy, but secretly want one way or another.

In your oppinion (cause you've been so helpful already) do you notice personality differences between males and females, and which are you fave?
If it's a boy- he will look like this: http://s.petco.com/assets/product_im...h/1031759C.jpg

If he's a girl, he will look like this: http://www.boroniaaquarium.com.au/images/7120.jpg

Well personality is Individual in bettas. But male vs female- females tend to be more active because the less finnage makes it easier for them to swim around. But males have big beautiful fins, while females have shorter fins. Either way you're in for a good surprise :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #12 
tamikakes

he/she has made quite the impression on me so far (less than 48 hours) to the point I want to take him out of my sons room and put him in the living room to interact with him more!
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #13 
tamikakes

in your oppionion, how does the tank look? I'm nervous! haa
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #14 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
he/she has made quite the impression on me so far (less than 48 hours) to the point I want to take him out of my sons room and put him in the living room to interact with him more!
Awe that's so sweet! Maybe once you get the hang of caring for him.. You could.. Buy yourself one
Old 07-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #15 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
in your oppionion, how does the tank look? I'm nervous! haa
What do you mean? Decoration wise- it looks nice. It is a good size set up. The picture made it look a little cloudy tho.. Is it cloudy or does it just look cloudy in the picture?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #16 
tamikakes

just looks cloudy.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #17 
Blue Fish

Welcome to the boards! This is an awesome place...and don't feel bad. :) I'm new on here as well...and *thought* I knew a bit about bettas...yeah, I was wrong. ;)
I had bettas years ago, and thought I was giving them good 1 gallon homes...now I know better. ;) Fortunately, everyone on here is really helpful and extremely nice. :)

I like your setup, I'd put in a few more plants (and it really is worth it to go live or silk...I'm not brave enough for live yet, but my boys were *really* pleased when they got new silk plants... :), but the cave looks good, and I really like the marbles for ease of cleaning. :) I had a really bad, virulant strain of columnaris from my very first betta rescues, and it took me a good year to get rid of it...and finally getting rid of gravel and into much easier to clean marbles was a big part of it. :)

As for the filter...there is great debate. ;) My boys don't like filters (one is too big, and the other three just have fins that are too long), and I just can't handle doing the fish-in filter cycle...(I stress out too badly that I'm hurting them with the ammonia) so Halyx and I are working on a "bucket cycle" where you just cycle the filter with plenty of sponges, and then slip it into a tank and seeing what happens. :)
But, other than that experiment, all three of my 10 gallon tanks are not cycled, and I change their water 50% about every five days. It's not bad, and really doesn't take long. Just dip out half the water, then dip fresh back in and you're done. :) Also, it's generally believed that anything under a 5 gallon tank really can't be cycled anyway. So, you're good with just water changes if you want. :)

Your boy is so cute! I've only ever had males so I can't give you any info on male or female...but he/she is cute though, and looks to have nice coloration. :) I'd lean towards him being a boy with fins that long already, but, like I said, I'm really clueless. :)

They are so fun to have around! They've got so much personality... :) And they're addicting...once you get one from the store and save it from that tiny cup, and they grow and they get beautiful...and you want to do it again. :) It feels *SO* good when they recover into their post-petstore existance. :)

And now I've posted up forever as well... ;) Glad I'm not the only one who talks a lot... ;) But good luck to you and your boy/girl, and be sure to share pictures as he/she grows up! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #18 
tamikakes

Thank you BlueFish! It's only been 2 days and I'm already obsessed. Like I said, I want to take him from my sons room that is upstairs and is only used 3-4 nights a week as hes at his dads the other times) and bring him to the living room so I can enjoy him more. I came home from work last night at 3:30 am and was in the room next to my sons bed for a good 45 minutes watching and playing.
I do need to take my digital therm back as it isn't showing a reading at all.

I have plant bulbs in there, hoping they sprout.

I found on my local craigslist 3 10 gal tanks one for $5, one for $10 and one for $20. Hopefully one of the cheaper ones are still available and leak free.

Also, since getting him on a friday, it's limited the amount of time thus far to go get goodies for the fella. I found I have an amazing aquaculture center/store by me. Gonna go check out the plants and goodies there, and even tanks they have as I read they are cheap.

Will def. be taking pics and uploading them. I've been trying to get my avitar set but some reason its not uploading!