Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 02:07 AM   #1 
egracheva

Please let me know what my mistake was to keep it from happening again

Hi everybody,

I have just lost my buddy (Seoba Jr. - short from Sebastian in Russian). He passed away a few days after I transported him from NC to MD (an 8 hour drive). I have done the same trip before and he seemed to be a bit shook up, but got over it pretty fast. The night before transporting him, I've put him in a clean container from bird seed filled halfway with water. The next day I put that temporary container in my car at the passenger's feet.. The roads were not too even, so maybe the container got shaken up quite a bit. Ever since I brought my Seoba back home, he seemed depressed and would refuse to eat much. It seemed like we won't even know that the food was in front of him as if he couldn't see it...
I know you guys are experienced Betta owners, please let me know what could have caused his death so that I could avoid the same mistake with my new baby Seoba III.
egracheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #2 
copperarabian

I'm so sorry to hear that happened :(

A few things may have caused his death, if the container he was in was washed with soap the residue is extremely hard to completely remove and can kill fish. If the road was very rough and he was shaken up a lot the stress might of been too much for him. Also he might of hit his head on one of the corners of the container, it's usually better to use plastic bags for long trips since the edges are more forgiving then a container.

How was the weather? if he got really hot or really cold it may of hurt him as well.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #3 
egracheva

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that happened :(

A few things may have caused his death, if the container he was in was washed with soap the residue is extremely hard to completely remove and can kill fish. If the road was very rough and he was shaken up a lot the stress might of been too much for him. Also he might of hit his head on one of the corners of the container, it's usually better to use plastic bags for long trips since the edges are more forgiving then a container.

How was the weather? if he got really hot or really cold it may of hurt him as well.
Thanks a lot for your response. I think it was combination of both. I did wash his container with soap right before I put him in there. Do you know what else can I use to wash containers with that does not have that residue?
egracheva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #4 
dbooknook

Just water. NO SOAP!!! Just wanted to make that clear.
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #5 
cjconcepcion

vinegar, distilled white vinegar. mix it with hot water and wash it with that, and rinse it really well afterwards, if you leave it in the sun to dry any remaining vinegar residue will evaporate, and even if a teeny bit remains it wont change the ph enough to kill the fish
cjconcepcion is offline   Reply With Quote