Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #1 
JBosley

Aquarium for Planted Tank?

Hello!
So I am 100% going to be doing a planted tank soon. And have been gathering lots of amazing information on them!

Would this tank work for a planted aquarium?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...3Bamp%3B+Bowls

Would the light be okay? Or will I need a different bulb? It's on sale! So I want to go get it next week or so (if it's still on sale)
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 
laoshun

not sure what the lighting is, but as future reference you want a bulb that offers 5000-6500k (brightness)

If you are using low light requirement plants then the bulb shouldn't matter too much.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #3 
JBosley

Thanks! I'm not sure which plants I will be getting

The local pet store I use has these plants:
Corckscrew Val
Cambomba
Hornwort
Jungle Val
Java Fern
Wisteria
Amazon Sword

Are these low light or not?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

I would get a different hood for that tank. I bought it, and the hood it comes with provides too much light. I'm still fighting the algae bloom it caused. I bought a single T8 tube hood and reflector as those are easier to find the right bulbs for.

Some of those plants are not what I would choose for a 10 gal tank. Most of them will outgrow your tank. With the sword's large leaves, they have a habit of growing too large and blocking out the light to everything else. Vals don't usually do well in soft water. I gave up on mine because they just weren't growing. Cambomba and hornwort will also get taller than your tank, but as they are just stem plants, you can trim them easily. Java fern is a great choice, tho. Anubias is another of my favorites.

Well if you get a single T8 6500K tube over a 10 gal tank you will have med-high light; it's even a bit high for my java fern sometimes and the leaves turn clear. All of those plants will do fine in that aquarium, but as I said the vals and the sword will probably outgrow it. Personally I would remove the sword.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 
JBosley

Perfect! I think I shall just buy a plain old 10 gallon for 15$ and get a light for it. I found some really interesting lighting options at the huge aquarium store I went to!

As for the plants, I haven't bought any yet! I'm sure the large aquarium store they will have more plant options. Any plant suggestions for a 10 gallon?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #6 
N03113

The tank comes with a hood, but the lamp is sold separately. So you should be able to find a suitable lamp within the requirements you have.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #7 
JBosley

Thanks guys!

Gonna buy just a 10 gallon and a light. Then go from there! Sand, gravel, sponge filter, hornwort, java fern, cambomba, anubias

So excited!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

I've also got duckweed as a floating plant and algae deterrent. Water sprite is another great floating plant to give your betta some shade. If it's a divided tank you could put java moss on the divider.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #9 
JBosley

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm going to be diving it! That's a great idea. I'd love to have the divider covered so they see less of one another
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #10 
N03113

I went with frogbit for my floating plants... I like the roots that come down from them and they're bigger leaves than duckweed. Multiplies like crazy, but it's a good plant.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote