Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 
fairy74

Filter start to speed cycling

As the title says does adding this actually half the cycling process?
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

...If you mean adding a filter makes cycling faster, no. You SHOULD have a filter to cycle, because it keeps it more stable. I don't suggest trying to find any way to rush a cycle, it's something that needs patience
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 
fairy74

No its something that comes with the tank to add to the water to apparently half the cycling process
fairy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Do you have a picture of it? o_O Like... is it a "bacterial suppliment"?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #5 
Kenny G

Here is a useful link that I believe will help. http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co...ad.php?t=64350
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Kenny, for future reference it's a rule on here to not link to other forums. maybe you can just copy and paste the info next time :P
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Essentially those bacteria supplements are worthless. They usually contain the wrong type of bacteria and in some instances can actually hinder rather than help. There are one or two out there that some people have said do actually work but you need to guarantee that the bottle has been continually stored in ideal conditions as otherwise the bacteria can die off.

There are many ways to cycle, but the most humane way is probably fishless cycling in which you use ammonia to establish your beneficial bacteria.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I've used bacterial suppliment once, and literally it said "add fish three days after adding suppliment" and it killed all my fish.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM   #9 
bahamut285

I've used bacterial supplement twice, and it said I could add fish 24 hours afterwards and my fish were fine.

You're better off just cycling it yourself instead of spending money on a chemical that is unknown whether to work or not
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Essentially those bacteria supplements are worthless. They usually contain the wrong type of bacteria and in some instances can actually hinder rather than help. There are one or two out there that some people have said do actually work but you need to guarantee that the bottle has been continually stored in ideal conditions as otherwise the bacteria can die off.
I certainly agree but, optimist that I am, I keep looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
There are many ways to cycle, but the most humane way is probably fishless cycling in which you use ammonia to establish your beneficial bacteria.
I absolutely agree with this. And I hate to be so niggling and petty but, as I've been talking so much about this lately, I have to correct this point to avoid misinterpretation.

Pure ammonia is the preferred way to feed the bacteria. How the bacteria gets established in your tank is another question. Thanks, LBF, for forgiving me this little quibble. ;-}

Last edited by Hallyx; 07-02-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote