Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #1 
NghtShad

New Proud Betta Daddy

I just recently adopted a couple male betta's from PetSmart. I started one out in a 0.5G glass bowl but felt bad and upgraded to a 1.5G filtered and heated tank. Once that was done I felt 1 was not enough and duplicated the setup with a second betta. The two have been quite active for the last couple days and one has been making bubbles as of today. Still coming up with names but my wife is of the opinion I should name the blue one Jackie Chan. She does not know about the red one yet.

I have started feeding them Wardley Betta Food but am finding the pellets are to big for them. I also have Nutrafin Max Betta colour enhancing flakes but have not really been feeding them those, they came in a kit with the water conditioner and bio cleaner. As a treat I have freeze dried bloodworms and just setup a brine shrimp hatchery yesterday which the first batch of baby brine shrimp should be ready for feeding time tomorrow morning.

In the distance shot the window behind the tanks is an office building window with UV protection and tinting so I am hoping it will not cause any issues.
Attached Images

NghtShad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #2 
lexyfly

wow! Those are some super pretty set ups! And beautiful fish! Good job! :)
lexyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #3 
NghtShad

Thanks, the red one has started to notice its reflection in the tank walls and has spend the last 3 or so hours flaring up and posturing. The blue one has moved on from that and has been darting back and forth against the tank walls in an endless game of chase with his own reflection.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #4 
TaylerHill

They look really good! I have the same tank as yours, and my betta loves it. Just to warn you though, the water seems to evaporate from it much faster than my other tanks. But other than that it works great!
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #5 
NghtShad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylerHill View Post
They look really good! I have the same tank as yours, and my betta loves it. Just to warn you though, the water seems to evaporate from it much faster than my other tanks. But other than that it works great!
I noticed the evaporation level but have not been to concerned with it. I have been doing a 10-20% water change every other day to with a gravel siphon to keep the gravel clean. I just top up the water then to compensate for the evaporation.

I am really trying to take it slow as these are the first fish I have ever had but eventually would like to get into breeding once or twice.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #6 
TaylerHill

That's a good idea. Like you mentioned, the water level isn't anything to worry about, just something I noticed. Hope you enjoy your new fish!
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #7 
EvaJupiterSkies

Lovely fish and set ups! Kudos!
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #8 
KeshiaB

Cute setup! I'm a lover of themed names, is there anything you are really into that could give you ideas for names, i.e. TV shows, bands, movies...

Magneto and Beast popped into my head for your two, I'm obviously an Xmen fan!
Posted via Mobile Device
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #9 
NghtShad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeshiaB View Post
Cute setup! I'm a lover of themed names, is there anything you are really into that could give you ideas for names, i.e. TV shows, bands, movies...

Magneto and Beast popped into my head for your two, I'm obviously an Xmen fan!
Posted via Mobile Device
I can see where you came up with those names.

Since my wife has already named the blue one Jackie Chan I guess I could name then Chan and Lee. Jet Lee being the inspiration for the red one.

BTW my first batch of brine shrimp have hatched but they are still too small for my guys to even look at them. I tried adding a small amount into the tanks and they did not even notice. Guess I will need to let the brine shrimp grow a little. I already anticipated this and have setup a glass bowl with salt water and some brine shrimp foot to encourage growth.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #10 
NghtShad

My first batch of Brine Shrimp are out of their hatchery and in a bowl with a slow air line for circulation. I took an eye dropper and put a few into each of my two tanks for the betta's but the shrimp were either too small or not enough of an interest. Lee swam all around to make sure he got them all but appeared as if it was not of much concern. Chan did not even bother hunting them down, he ate the ones that were right in front of him, but other then that did not seem to care.

I am now attempting to grow the brine shimp a little and see if the added growth will interest my boys. I have a brine shrimp food package that I will be feeding them and once that runs out I will switch to yeast since it is cheaper and will work just as well.

If this goes well then I will look into building a better hatchery and siphon so that the baby brine shrimp are easier to seperate from the casings and place in the grow bowl to reach maturity.

Here is to hoping.
Attached Images