Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 
Bettanewbie60

Question New 5 gallon tank prep?

I just bought a 5 gallon tank for my betta, and need some advice on making it ready for "Buddy Blue". I want to get him out of his 1g bowl as soon as possible, but want it safe for him. Would a little gravel from his bowl help, and if so, how do I put some of it in the filter? (Don't want to bust the filter). I'm really new at this, any help would be appreciated!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 
N03113

Depends on what kind of filter you have.. you can also put some of the old gravel into a nylon stocking and tie it off, just set into the tank as is.

What method are you going to use to feed ammonia into the tank if you're trying to cycle? If you're unsure, there is a sticky on the forums about cycling and it's a good read.

Also, I personally like using seeding bacteria, though some have had mixed results. I used Nutrafin Cycle for mine and it worked, not in the way that the label said, but helped to seed bacteria in enough to kickstart it.

If cycling, expect at least 2-4 weeks at the soonest but it can take longer depending on your method. Make sure you have a test kit such as API's Master Freshwater test kit on hand.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #3 
lelei

Talking Sammy's 5 Gallon

You can use the same gravel, that is fine, and some plants, and a hidey cave of some sort..I started my 5 gal with some of my fishy's fave plants from his prev 3 gal tank, and then I added new gravel, just for change of color..and then I added some real plants, Amazon Sword and a great place to hide (cave) and I included an air stone, for oxygenation to the water..some people do not use them, but my fishy loves it..:) Picture here
Attached Images

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #4 
lelei

Just don't forget the heater, and the thermometer:)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #5 
Kenny G

What I have done with both of my betta's when setting them up in new tanks was to use the gravel and 25% of their original tank water. Then I just added the new conditioned water. If you have a heater put it on 12-24 hours before putting in your betta. Check the thermometer to make sure the temps are between 78-82 degrees. Slowly acclimate him to the water in the new tank. I have never had to put gravel in the filter so I can't give advice on that.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #6 
lelei

Better Tank Pic!!

Just took this one..how it looks now..before was without fishy
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #7 
lelei

Yes, good advice, set it up, then let it sit for about 24-36 hrs, that will help the temp stabilize, and then you can put your fishy in..definately acciminate him, so he can get used to the space and size of the tank, even when I changed our Sammy he came from a cylindrical tank, and even tho he was accliminated, he still had a hard time figuring out that his tank was a different shape, and size, so he crashed into the walls when he could not figure out how to get around that well, but the plants from his previous tank, made him feel comfortable, like his prev. home, and then he realized he had a lot more swim room:)