Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2012, 01:23 AM   #1 
Nye

He is getting better...I think

Well first of all, Hello! I am new to Betta's and have had a rough start. I bought a Betta at Petco a few weeks ago and have babying and loving him and I think he may pull through. When I first brought him home he wouldn't eat, layed at the bottom of the tank, was very pale in color and I though for sure he would die. His fins were also clumped together and not spread out like they are now.I read lots of posts on here and he is doing much better. When I was talking to him tonight he came up to the glass and puffed up the fins around his face like he was showing me how pretty he was.

My concern is that around his head he has some dark reddish brownish coloring. He has had it since I brought him home. I shined a flashlight on him and he really doesnt look any different with that on,,,no "dusting".

I think he is going to be O'K so mostly I was just wondering what it is. I tried to get some decent pictures of him tonight but it was fairly dark in the house so they aren't great.

Also can anyone tell me what kind he is. The cup from Petco and several names on it and some were crossed out so I am not sure really what I got. Other than he is purple and I love purple!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter?yes, I bought a micro one but I read that they don't really like a current or water movement in the tank because they have to swim too hard so I don't have it running all the time
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The filter has an air tube that does a small amount of bubbling
Is your tank heated?NO
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?None, but I have my sons tank next to mine so they can see each other

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra brand Betta pellets and freeze dried bloodworms. I think I need smaller pellets though because he has such a small mouth it looks to me like he has a hard time eating them.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice, 3-4 pellets each time and bloodworms once in awhile

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: i did a pH test strip and it read about 7.4 but I haven't re0tested it after starting to use the conditioner
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Name:  IMG-20120706-00051.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20120706-00052.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  34.1 KB
Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Is the brown coloring on his gills? And he is a VT. Otherwise known as a Veiltail. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #3 
Nye

The brown is only on the outside of his scales. When he was puffing at me today I got to see inside his gills and there was no brown in there that I could see.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I meant ON the gills. You know, the flap behind his eye? (Hard to explain. *I'm an idiot btw*) And if it is on the gills, he probably suffered Nitrite Poisoning.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:40 AM   #5 
Nye

Ok sorry, yes the brown is on his gills. It was on the top of his head too but that has mostly gone away. I am doing a much better job of water maintenance now so hopefully he will remain healthy.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:42 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

OK, that's good. Keep us updated of how he's doing! Good thing it's not on his head anymore. :)