Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #1 
TigerRegalia

So what tricks have you taught your boy/girl?

Hey everyone! I was wondering what kinds of tricks you all have taught your bettas? The reason I ask is because, other than Tom knowing when feeding time is and having him follow my finger, I have also ~accidentally~ taught him to flare up for me whenever I take a picture of him! He won't flare up at a neutral stimulus, but each and every time I hold up the camera, he flares up immediately, haha!! What about everyone else??
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

I'll list the tricks that my Betta does:
1. Jumps for food
2. Follows my finger
3. Flares at my Finger
4. Backs away from my finger
That's pretty much it. :)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #3 
TigerRegalia

Ohh cool! Tom does all of those too It's funny that they both do that approach/back away from our finger thing. I'll bring my finger up to his tank but keep it at a distance, and he'll flare up at it and come forward. Then, I'll move my finger closer very slowly as he continues to swim closer to it. Then, when I get it up to the glass, he'll turn around and swim away, only to turn right back around and flare up at it again
Old 07-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #4 
magnum

Stu does a few strange things, some that I have taught him, and others that he has just learned to do....

Every day near feed time, he will swim near the top of the tank. If he dosn't participate in this ritual he usually swims directly through the mass of plants at breakneck speed to get to the top of the tank in case his food 'vanishes'.

He also follows around a purple pen if I put it around and near the tank and move it, while he is transfixed by my pink lamp.

I know I havn't taught him to do this, but if I put something in his tank my mini ship for example he will move it by constantly headbutting it or pushing against it. Just today he managed to move his hidy log from against the glass to a diagonal just so he could fit, even though the back was wide open. Sigh.
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 
DragonFish

I kinda trained one of my boys who I had a while ago to swim through a hoop once but besides that I've never done too much training....mostly laziness on my part. xD However, over the years I've had various fish who just sort of picked up on the basics, you know, following my finger, learning a specific feeding spot, following my finger over the top of the water for food, taking bloodworms from my hand, all that kinda stuff.

More recently though I have been training my boys to come to me when I lightly tap on the tank. It started with Raikou, who just kind of did it on his own and would swim up and flare a little at me when I gave his tank a tap xD. My other two are picking up on it now though, its quite useful when I want to take pictures ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Honeycomb does:
-follows my finger
-jumps for food
-rubs glass with his nose
-and he likes to stop swimming and then go in front of the filter waterfall and be pushed down to the bottom of his tank :)

Cute tricks everybody!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #7 
lelei

All sound soo adorable, I had accidentally taught Sammy how to get jealous by showing him a picture of another betta, omg,,hilarious..I have seen him flare before, but when i did that..I saw him go wild, you should try to see if your betta does it too, also a video, of himself, he couldnt figure it out, all he saw was a fish swimming and flared like a wild fish..lol..only for a few minutes tho, other than that he has been playing with the bubbles in the tank, from the air stone, that he loves tries to catch them on occassion..lol..(Btw..Hello, and welcome to the forum:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelei View Post
All sound soo adorable, I had accidentally taught Sammy how to get jealous by showing him a picture of another betta, omg,,hilarious..I have seen him flare before, but when i did that..I saw him go wild, you should try to see if your betta does it too, also a video, of himself, he couldnt figure it out, all he saw was a fish swimming and flared like a wild fish..lol..only for a few minutes tho, other than that he has been playing with the bubbles in the tank, from the air stone, that he loves tries to catch them on occassion..lol..(Btw..Hello, and welcome to the forum:)
So cute! Hoeycomb rarely flares with me in the room thou, because when i come in i catch a glimpse of him flaring and "fighting" his reflection :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #9 
lelei

Now my rescue Sappire is already jumpin to get the food..and catchin bubbles too..:) wow did he catch on qwickly..lol..:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #10 
TigerRegalia

Such cute tricks and quirks, everyone!! Another thing Tommy does that my previous bettas did not do is that he swims around and around a leaf of his plant, going in circles continuously. so cute!! Then, when I stand up and start to approach his tank, even from a good distance of 5-7 ft, he'll quickly dart his head towards me and then rush to the front of the tank to do his wiggle dance :)