Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 
staffylover

Ragged tail

I am not sure if Blade has an infection. When I bought him he had a black edging to his tail and his tail was nice and smooth. I only have a few pics from when I bought him and this one is not great

However over the last week it has become ragged and some of it looks a bit transparent. He was in with neons which I have removed today and have carried out a 20% water change. Here he is today getting some excercise with a mirror which shows his tail as it is now

My local shop has suggested another 20% water change on Wednesday and Friday and then I will take a sample in to be tested if there is no improvement. They have suggested treating with salt if there is no improvement just to be on the safe side

He is still very healthy and active and eating well so not sure if it is nibbling or an infection? Any thoughts
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

He probably has Fin Rot. To treat it, clean water should fix it. If you want, you could give him high-protein foods to speed up the healing. The new fins will look translucent at first and then get it's color.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 
staffylover

I will be disappointed if it is fin rot as I do a water change every week, tank is filtered and heated and I add good bacteria every week when I do a change.
Hopefully I have caught it early enough to sort out quickly
Old 07-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
He probably has Fin Rot. To treat it, clean water should fix it. If you want, you could give him high-protein foods to speed up the healing. The new fins will look translucent at first and then get it's color.
+1. If the fins get more ragged a day or so after clean water, try aquarium salt. Treat for a week.

BTW that is a beautiful fish! Where did you get him?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffylover View Post
I will be disappointed if it is fin rot as I do a water change every week, tank is filtered and heated and I add good bacteria every week when I do a change.
Hopefully I have caught it early enough to sort out quickly
Same thing happened to my fish a few months back. I treated him and he has been healthy ever since and I didn't chance my water change regimen...
Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #6 
staffylover

Thanks, I bought him from a local fish shop. I ordered vivid red from them and had to wait a week for him, it was a long week and we instantly fell for him as soon as we saw him
Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffylover View Post
Thanks, I bought him from a local fish shop. I ordered vivid red from them and had to wait a week for him, it was a long week and we instantly fell for him as soon as we saw him
Yeah the solid vivid red veiltails are my absolute favorite :)