Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #1 
DoctorPanda

Possibly dropsy help?

Yesterday I noticed my one betta, Nereus, just laying at the top of the tank, not doing much. Usually he is VERY active so this was worrisome. He ate normally but didn't do his usual dances at feeding time or when I came into the room. I thought he was just bloated before, but after putting two and two together, I realized it was probably dropsy.

My other betta, Eevee (who is kept in a separate tank) was acting normal (normal meaning completely hyper), but I noticed he had swelling, too. I guess I must have cross-contaminated while cleaning or something, and I feel terrible =/

Last night, I moved Nereus into a half-gallon tank so it'd be easier for him to get air. I put half a Tetramin Fungus Guard tablet in Eevee's tank (1.5 gallons), and a fourth in Nereus' after changing the water.

And...this morning they're both fine, behavior-wise. Eevee is still basically doing flips and Nereus is once again doing his little dances. The swelling/bloating is still there, though =/

I have hope that since I caught this early-ish, and they're both acting fine, that I can fix it. It's not just normal bloating, as it's been around four days like this, and it...just doesn't look like normal bloating (I'm going to feed them a pea just in case, though). There's no pineconeing, either.

What should I do about this? I bought Epsom salt and Maracyn Two because that's all I could find :c The internet is giving me mixed answers for the Epsom salt, and I don't wanna do anything to make this worse.

[I didn't fill out the form for this since I wasn't sure if it was necessary. If it will help, just let me know]
Thanks you guys <3
DoctorPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #2 
ihatefirewalls

Epsom salt is a common treatment for both dropsy and bloating and is generally harmless (and usually preferred over medications). I say try the epsom salt and hold off on the maracyn unless you don't see signs of improvement. (Don't use the salt treatment for more than 10 days)

Dosing typically starts at 1 tsp/gallon, but the stickies should have more specific information.

Last edited by ihatefirewalls; 07-01-2012 at 08:44 PM.
ihatefirewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #3 
DoctorPanda

Update: Nereus seems pretty much back to normal, but Eevee is another story. Still no behavior changes (in fact, as active as I've ever seen him), but he is so bloated. I have literally never seen bloating this bad o-o;

I am going to fast him for a couple days and then give them both peas.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Don't try peas. It would make the bloating worse. Well, it will hurt their digestive system. Use Daphnia instead. Are they just bloated? Nothing else? You should never medicate until you know what the main problem is.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #5 
DoctorPanda

Again, theyre behaving normally now...if it is just bloating I'm not sure why it hasn't gone away by now =/
Old 07-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic and complete the sticky to add....

Also, IMO/E-using a small amount of Pea for treatment is NOT harmful to the Betta digestive tract.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Dropsy is not a disease. It's a sign of internal organ failure.

I've lost quite a few fish recently and it sucks to see them pine coned :/
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #8 
DoctorPanda

Alllright I seriously have NO idea what this is.
His stomach is HUGE. It's been this way...well, ever since I posted this thread. No pineconing, no change in behavior. At all.
In fact, he just built a bubble nest @-@ It looks like he'd be in a lot of pain but apparently not

I tried espom salt for a couple days and it didn't help, fasting for 3 days and then feeding a pea didn't help. I will try to take a pic later, but it's about this size (I am so sorry if this is a picture from someone on here! I will take it down if you want):

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraMin pellets and BettaMin flakes on occassion
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets in the morning and 2-3 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every Sunday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, too lazy to go check what brand it is x_X

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes, a couple days ago but I don't remember. I can do it again if needed

Last edited by DoctorPanda; 07-16-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 AM   #9 
lvandert

For an epsom salt treatment to work you need to be trying it for at least a week. Some people see improvement right away some dont. He might have internal parasites and not just constipation. In which case 3 days was not long enough on the treatment. GO back to the salt treatment at 2tsp of salt per gallon for at least 7 days. 100% water changes everyday along with that.

Now you might want to throw in a 50% water change sometime in the middle of the week. You might have quite a bit of ammonia in there by sunday and it may cause problems if he gets touchy.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #10 
DoctorPanda

Should I be giving him any medication? Or just the salt?

Started the salt a couple days ago, it hasn't gotten worse but it hasn't gotten better from what I can tell
pictures: