Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
JadeMoon

New rescue very sick

Hi everyone. This is my first post and unfortunately, it's not a happy one. Yesterday, I rescued two bettas from a pet store, one of which I am very worried for. I hadn't planned on getting two fish, but when I saw this little guy, he seemed barely alive and I just had to get him out of there.
First off, he looks skinny, with fins clamped and barely moving. His color is dull. I noticed he has brassy/brown patches on his head near the gills. I started to worry he has velvet, so have kept him in the dark..but I don't see gold specks on his body, and am wondering if this might be part of his natural color. Last night, he continued to lay on the bottom of the tank, and at one point was turned on his side. Today, he is still very lethargic, but I have seen him come to the surface for air and he reacts to flashlight and movement of the bowl. He also ate 2 pellets. I added dried oak leaves, after reading they may be beneficial.
Does velvet seem likely? Or could the brown spots indicate ammonia burn or something else? And what more could I do for him? Not sure what to do about temperature..I don't have a heater for hospital bowl, but have two larger tanks that stay 78-80F. If I were to float him in one, I would have to downsize his container even more and I'm not sure if the other betta in tank would add stress.
I will post pictures.
Housing
What size is your tank? In quarantine about 1/2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari biogold betta
How often do you feed your betta fish? fed 2 pellets today

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe Plus, aquarium salt, dried oak leaves

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: unknown
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Hard to tell, got him yesterday
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Since yesterday, has came to surface more
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Was sick when I got him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Added 1/8tsp aquarium salt and several oak leaves to water. Keeping in a dark, warm room.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? Most likely less than 1yr.
JadeMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Can you post a picture? Brown gills mean nitrite poisoning.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

maybe a pic would help you situation if u could upload one, if you could that would be great :)

I am sorry he is not feeling well :(

Last edited by MyRainbowBettaFish; 07-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 
LaLaLeyla

@MyRainbowBettaFish You know she mentioned it was only a quarantine tank right?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLeyla View Post
@MyRainbowBettaFish You know she mentioned it was only a quarantine tank right?
thanks lala, i must have missed that part! I apologize for that! I haven't been thinking clearly today hahal....uggh i really need to slow down my reading lol

Just, ignore that post

Ok i edited that post
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:54 PM   #6 
JadeMoon

Pictures

Thank you for the quick replies. Here are some pictures.
Day 1:
Name:  20120630_192134.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  20120630_192145.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  87.9 KB

Name:  20120630_192155.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  63.0 KB

Day 2:
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #7 
Blue Fish

If he doesn't look "gold dusted" I don't think he's likely to have velvet, and even if he does, you're already doing the treatment for it with the water changes and the AQ salt. The AQ salt and water changes will also help if he's got ammonia burns.

It sounds like he was just having an awful time of it at the store and needs some time to recover in clean water. Just make sure that the AQ salt treatment doesn't go on for more than 10-14 days as it can hurt their internal organs. :)

I wouldn't float him in a tank with another betta already in it, as I agree, that would cause him stress. (And if this fish has anything contagious, your other fish will get it too. I keep my new guys in quarantine for at least a week before they get anywhere near the other "healthy" tanks.) It sounds like your water is the right temp anyway, but if you are worried about it, you can put him into a water bath and heat the bath.
To do: you take another tank or even a big rubbermaid container and fill it with water about 3/4 of the way up to the water-line of your current betta-living container. If the container is glass or something heavy, just set it into the water. If it floats, then you can secure it to the sides of the container. Then, put your heater into the exterior water (the water in the container) and heat that water. The heat will transfer into your betta water and you don't have to worry about heating just that small container safely. :) Oh, and be sure to cover the top of the bowl your betta is in with plastic wrap or even a peice of plastic grocery bag. OldFishLady rec's that to help their labyrinth organ, as the plastic wrap helps to keep the air temp above the water warmer and more humid. :)

Good luck to you, just keep an eye on him to look for fungus or Ich, and I'd think that he'll recover really well in your care. :) If nothing else, he has clean water, a good home, and someone to love him. You can't do any better than that. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #8 
JadeMoon

I am sorry to report that little betta passed away last night..i hope he had some comfort in his last days. Thank you for the advice. This forum is very helpful.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #9 
goldfishyman

Man the pet stores make a killing on these sick bettas. You buy them to rescue them. Then you buy the expensive medications. I think your actually encouraging the pet stores to continue their practice of poorly storing bettas. They don't suffer the inventory losses because you buy these sick fish off them and they make even more money because of all the meds you buy. Why would they change their ways? If they had a 100% loss on an entire shipment I would think the store manager would make changes on the way they take care of these fish. In the end more human treatment for all future bettas.
goldfishyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

Ooh, I'm so sorry! :( It's always hard to lose a pet. :( At least he finally had someone to love and take care of him though, even if for only a short time. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue, sick, velvet