Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #1 
Purple

"Ideal for Bettas" :l (Might make you mad!)

I went on a trip to WalMart to pick up some things, and I needed to buy Donald a cave or something so he'll feel more secure, find Otis some fungal stuff, and I just wanted to look. (The WalMart I was in doesn't sell live fish.)

When I looked at the tanks (price checking a 10 gal), I saw the picture below.

"IDEAL FOR BETTAS"?!?!? GAHHHHH!!! And they include a divider, and encourage putting 2 bettas in?! NOWHERE on this box did it say, "Clean 5 billion times a day because your fish will be swimming in their own filth if you don't because you're too cheap to buy a good tank and are stupid." I looked at other tanks, like one by Tetra, and they have instructions for temperature (probably to sell heaters, but heck, at least people are being educated) and cleaning.

I understand if someone uses a 1/2 gallon to transport or as a hospital tank or something like that, but it was obviously marketed to people who don't know what they're doing, much less know when their fish is sick. I kind of wanted to get it because Sally HATES being put in a cup and tries to jump every time I clean her tank, but I feel horrible supporting their business.

I have to admit, Sally's tank is from this business, whose name I won't state. For this reason, I'll use a "nickname" for it. Smaqua Chulture tanks are very
small. I have the biggest one that I know that that they sell (1 gallon) because I bought Sally because I thought she was cute before I knew anything about fish. I know that I have to clean her tank once a day, but when I was new (like most of the people buying these tanks) I thought it would be fine to clean her tank once a week. Most people I talked to about it said that I was "keeping her in the Ritz" and all that.

The smallest tank that that company was selling wasn't even as big as the cup that my fish came in when I bought them. Sickening, really. Like, really, there wasn't enough room for a male to NOT have his fins clamped. ("Ideal for bettas!") I wouldn't put my fish in there if there had been a nuclear fallout and their tank broke and I didn't have anywhere else to put them. :l

Also, I saw a glass vase with a picture that included a plant and a betta... Don't even get me started...

I honestly don't even want to buy ANYTHING from this company (Haqua Cultsmure*cough*) because of this, and I want to give my business to Tetra, because even though they probably did the instructions to get more money out of people, at least their tanks were safe. The smallest I saw was a 2.5 gallon, which it would probably be okay (not preferable, but okay) to go a week without cleaning.

Now I'm going to go email some companies. :l

OH! Another thing! I wanted to buy Donald a cave (which I said above), so I was looking at those. I only found one cave-like thing with a hole big enough for him, and started to feel around the insides. The outside was smooth and I thought the inside would be the same. NOPE! There were shape edges (I cut my finger! Imagine what it would do to my delicate fish!) and the entire inside was rough and jagged. I wish it had a name on it so I would have someone to email!
Attached Images

Last edited by Purple; 07-02-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:31 AM   #2 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I hear you. I've been reading that Petco sells triangle homes for baby bettas. Well- I saw a lady buy the "baby betta" home for a grown betta. The thing looked like a tupperware for half a sandwich! It seriously didn't look much better than the cups the fish come in.

I did sign a petition about asking pet stores not to sell anything under a gallon. (Seriously, there are super cheap 1 gallon glass and plastic bowls . .. c'mon people, that should be the minimum!)

I bought a terrible bowl for my betta on the first day because I was ignorant. But I replaced it that same weekend when i went home and googled "betta care" and found out I was being a huge &$#@ by having a small bowl (I think it was a half gallon, maybe more. . one gallon at the most). He got a 2.5 gallon and now he has a 6.6 gallon all to himself. He still acts like a crackhead but I'm sure that's just his personality :)
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 AM   #3 
Luimeril

i got a tank by that company. it's about a gallon, maybe less, but you can connect many of them, side-by-side to make a bitter, wide tank. it's pretty nifty, but hard to get a net or cup in to scoop the betta out for cleaning. x-x bleh....

i HATE how these tanks are "ideal" for bettas. and how walmarts sell them RIGHT NEXT TO the bettas. 8I why pay $20+ for a 1+ gallon tank, when you can spend $5 on that tank there? besides... the 'betta tanks' are so~ much 'cuter' for them~ -sarcastic-
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #4 
Purple

I keep my female in a 1 gallon, my male in a 2.5 gallon, and my sister has her fish in a 1 gallon. I may sound hypocritical, but I know when to do water changes. My water stays PRISTINE. I'd probably drink my betta's water before I'd drink my bottled water. HA! (But I don't O.O)

A beginner (probably the majority of their business) or someone who just buys a fish on a whim probably doesn't know/won't clean a fish tank once a day. I have no problem with it because I love my fish and I love making sure that they're healthy and happy. My fish are my life, honestly. I wish I had room for more!
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #5 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
I agree- I have fish because it's fun for me to take care of them and try to figure out how to make them happy.

I just think, if a teeny tiny bowl is the best you can do (I'm saying something under a gallon, you know, the really crappy small ones they sell, like you said, right next to the bettas) .. uh .. don't get a living thing to take care of.

I guess the thing is that it is marketed to irresponsible or lazy people, parents who prefer to shut their kid up by getting them a pet , but getting them a pet they think will be fine to neglect and spend no money on .. etc.

(And idiots like me who were told bettas don't need room .. but at least my idiocy only lasted a day )

I guess all we can do is complain, sign or write letters, emails, petitions, etc. I haven't done much, just commented on a review I wrote for a petco tank, and signed someone's petition here once. I'll try to do more, especially if an opportunity presents itself.

(On the Petco website, if you review an item, a window pops up and says something like "Do you have anything to say about how Petco could improve ?" . . so I wrote a little complaint about the tiny bettas homes they sell .. .blah blah blah. Maybe Walmart has that. Also, a lot of times you can review an item even if you didn't buy it and I did see on some websites like Walmart that someone had gone and written a lot of reviews that said these tiny homes were pieces of $&*@# not suitable for any betta.

You could always write some reviews online .. when inspiration strikes. I actually took the cue from that person and wrote one myself. And I write about it under terrible betta bowls on Pinterest.com when people upload horrible betta set-ups.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #6 
Kenny G

The major thing I have learned when buying decorations for my betta's is run my fingers over every part of it. Inside and out. Much to my surprise most of the time I find sharp and jagged points and edges that would tear my betta's skin and fins.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:03 AM   #7 
tamikakes

your post cracked me up! The fake name to save identity! AND how you FURTHERED slandering them, the flash light being right over the "smaqua" hahahaha.

I got a 2.5 gal aqueon and that is the absolute smallest I would go. Even before being "educated" by researching, I always saw them in the cups and heard, and saw friends, have them in .5 gal or less vases, I always said if I did get one, it would be in a bigger tank cause it made me sad and unhappy thinking that they couldn't be happy, even tho being told that they are perfectly happy in smaller spaces. I may not have the biggest and best of a house or things, but I plan on upgrading my tank and letting my lil fella have his own private island so to speak!
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #8 
tamikakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursey View Post
I agree- I have fish because it's fun for me to take care of them and try to figure out how to make them happy.

I just think, if a teeny tiny bowl is the best you can do (I'm saying something under a gallon, you know, the really crappy small ones they sell, like you said, right next to the bettas) .. uh .. don't get a living thing to take care of.

I guess the thing is that it is marketed to irresponsible or lazy people, parents who prefer to shut their kid up by getting them a pet , but getting them a pet they think will be fine to neglect and spend no money on .. etc.

(And idiots like me who were told bettas don't need room .. but at least my idiocy only lasted a day )

I guess all we can do is complain, sign or write letters, emails, petitions, etc. I haven't done much, just commented on a review I wrote for a petco tank, and signed someone's petition here once. I'll try to do more, especially if an opportunity presents itself.

(On the Petco website, if you review an item, a window pops up and says something like "Do you have anything to say about how Petco could improve ?" . . so I wrote a little complaint about the tiny bettas homes they sell .. .blah blah blah. Maybe Walmart has that. Also, a lot of times you can review an item even if you didn't buy it and I did see on some websites like Walmart that someone had gone and written a lot of reviews that said these tiny homes were pieces of $&*@# not suitable for any betta.

You could always write some reviews online .. when inspiration strikes. I actually took the cue from that person and wrote one myself. And I write about it under terrible betta bowls on Pinterest.com when people upload horrible betta set-ups.

Sad thing is, most people who are clueless and only go by what the highschool teenager tells them, doesn't do any research after that. I am a 3 day new beta owner. Yes, I realized a few things "wrong" that I have learned from (my 2.5 gal tank.....yes it's sutible, but I, too, thought at the time it was a mansion for him, now I want a 10gal.) We, and a lot others on here, did get the fish cause they WANTED a beta, even tho they were clueless, bought it on a whim so to speak and after purchase came home to research and learn from then on out, and if like me, feel like I'm already the worse beta mamma around!

That being said, they sell, they always have sold, and they will continue to sell because it's making money. Sad but true. And worse of all, this senerio....

mom buys little Billy a pretty betta and a small bowl to put on Billys night stand. Billys fish dies in a couple weeks, mom replaces betta for new betta, and that dies. Mom doesn't go online to research what could be the cause, mom just keeps replacing, figuring they are cheap little things anyway (this goes more so for goldfish which you always see on TV being in a bowl, when they need 20+ gallons and, yes, are more upkeep)
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #9 
Knitterly

Our walmart displays their bettas for sale in those little boxes. Two per box. Makes me cry.

WHat's worse, is what I saw at my PetSupermarket. I Adore that store, normally, but the FAILED in betta care. They are selling 8oz glass fishbowls with gravel and betta as a "complete betta setup" for $10.

FAIL.
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #10 
RainbowSocks

Eight ounces?? *looks at yogurt cup* Are you certain? O.O
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote