Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 03:56 AM   #1 
RedFynn21

Anyone have any experience with Tetra 50W heaters?

...Out of curiosity, I was wondering what other members on here have to say about Tetra brand 50W submersible heaters. I have only ever had Theo Hydor heaters--and have been very happy with them. But, I wanted to buy a back-up heater or two, and I was at Goodwill yesterday, and they had like 5 of the Tetra 50W heaters there for $2.99. So, I grabbed two, thinking, "What the heck? Worse case is I'm out $6." Of course, then I got to thinking, if they worked, then why are they at Goodwill? I noticed they're not adjustable--it's a pre-set heat temperature. Bummer.

So, what do you guys--that have used them--have to say about them? Your opinions, positive or negative appreciated.

Are they any good? Do they heat properly? Any downsides, quirks, etc?

Much thanks!

-RedFynn

Last edited by RedFynn21; 07-02-2012 at 04:06 AM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #2 
staffylover

Never used the Tetra one but did use the fluval one what was not adjustable and it maintained a constant temp of 76 degree's. I replaced it as soon as I had a case of whitespot as one of the treatments was to turn up the temp and the heater was useless for this
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #3 
lelei

I have the Tetra..2-10 gal for both my 5 and 3 gal tanks..and have nt had any probs..they both keep consistant temp at 78deg...the only downside they are not adjustable..but if yu use them on a reg and use an adjustable one as a back up yur bettet off that way.
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #4 
Kenny G

Wow 6 dollars is a great deal. They are good heaters and will keep the water temps between 78-80 degrees. All heaters have the good and the bad. It's not adjustable which for some is a deal breaker. Also to work properly it needs to be placed horizontally not vertically at the bottom of your tank. Hey but for 6 bucks you can't go wrong and good for a back up or give to friends who don't have heaters in their betta tanks.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #5 
RedFynn21

Cool beans. I tested both of them out just to be sure. I had a 1 gallon glass tea jug, and I filled it with water (obviously with no fish, lol), placed one of the heaters in and the light went on. Followed suite with the other heater. So, that's a good sign. They both seemed to heat the water up.

But...

Is it normal for the light to flit off for long periods of time, and then turn on just to heat the water for a few minutes? Especially when the thermometer says it's barely at 62 degrees? (Again, no worries...there are no fish in here. Simply testing the heaters in water, haha.)

Last edited by RedFynn21; 07-02-2012 at 10:59 PM.
RedFynn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #6 
RainbowSocks

I had one... it kept the water at 76 degrees (the package said it'd keep it at 78 plus or minus 2 degrees so it's not like it didn't "work"). Between that, and wanting an adjustable one, I took it back. So, we have a neutral relationship. lol
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote