Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #1 
Catfish Billy

Question Plants Question(s)

Hey guys!

I'm redoing my community tank which is 54 litres (14 US gallons) and its external dimensions are 60 x 30 x 30cm (23.6 x 11.8 x 11.8 inches). It has a 15 watt (6500k) light and is heated at 24 Celsius (72.2 Fahrenheit). It has a Ph of 7.5/8 and I will add some sort of fertiliser for the plants.

Any ideas on how many bunches/single plants to get so that my tank is quite full but I can still see the fish (6 neon tetras + 5 guppies)? Any suggestions on plants that will grow in these conditions? How about good fertilisers and where I can buy them?

Sorry for so many questions! Thanks in advance!
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

any idea how many lumens your light gives off? Elodea is a good starter, incase you don't have enough light. I would say to not aim to buy just enough plants for your tank and instead, buy less. plants will always grow. test out one plant at a time. if your conditions are not right, stocking so many at once may be a bad idea and may result in bad die offs. if you still want to see fish, simply plant some stem plants at the back and carpeting plants at the front. Don't worry too much about fertilisation until the plant has established (new healthy growth)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
any idea how many lumens your light gives off? Elodea is a good starter, incase you don't have enough light. I would say to not aim to buy just enough plants for your tank and instead, buy less. plants will always grow. test out one plant at a time. if your conditions are not right, stocking so many at once may be a bad idea and may result in bad die offs. if you still want to see fish, simply plant some stem plants at the back and carpeting plants at the front. Don't worry too much about fertilisation until the plant has established (new healthy growth)
I've only ever heard of kelvin and that took a while to find out......

I guess I will just start off a small amount of plants and see how it goes. I was just asking because on eBay (where I plan to get my plants) they seem to sell plants in MASSIVE quantity.

Thanks for the advice about where to put the plants etc! People on this website are SO helpful!
Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

The trick to growing plants is to have good lighting :) 6500k is optimal but 15w does not sound like it can sustain anything other than lowlight plants in a 24 gal. What kinds of light are you using? and how many? If you must get plants, aim to get the ones which are good lowlight plants. Java fern, Java moss and anubias are fairly hardy. I am not sure whether you mind leaving plants floatin or weighed down in the tank.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #5 
Silverfang

Java fern is quite hardy, and a low light plant. When in doubt, java fern, java moss and anubis are all safe low light plants.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #6 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
The trick to growing plants is to have good lighting :) 6500k is optimal but 15w does not sound like it can sustain anything other than lowlight plants in a 24 gal. What kinds of light are you using? and how many? If you must get plants, aim to get the ones which are good lowlight plants. Java fern, Java moss and anubias are fairly hardy. I am not sure whether you mind leaving plants floatin or weighed down in the tank.
Surely if it is 6500k it doesn't matter how many watts it is?

Oh, bye the way, its a 14 gallon (not meaning to be rude).
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

Sorry! don't know how I read that as a 29g. here's some good reading on aquarium lighting.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/mlt.html
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #8 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
Sorry! don't know how I read that as a 29g. here's some good reading on aquarium lighting.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/mlt.html
So would a 14 gallon tank be OK with a 15 watt light? Doesn't look like it...

The light came with the tank.

Last edited by Catfish Billy; 07-03-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

I guess whatever you grow, make sure to plant it where the light's most abundant. maybe a good idea will be to start with a lowlight plant, and if they don't do too well, you can then get a new light. I like to leave a large jar with spare plants in it by the window side where they will get bright lighting. I also throw snails in said jar to keep up with the fertilization. it's always good to have some back up plants :)
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #10 
Catfish Billy

Quote:
I guess whatever you grow, make sure to plant it where the light's most abundant. maybe a good idea will be to start with a lowlight plant, and if they don't do too well, you can then get a new light. I like to leave a large jar with spare plants in it by the window side where they will get bright lighting. I also throw snails in said jar to keep up with the fertilization. it's always good to have some back up plants :)
OK thanks soooo much for your help!

I think I will get a few anubias, some sort of moss and a few java ferns. Depending on how well it goes I might get some crypts.

Tags
plants