Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Exclamation Water dechlorinator dosing?

Hey everybody!

I recently have been thinking about my dechlorinator/conditionder lately, and have been wondering if i have been dosing it wrong:

I added some pictures of the instructions and brand.

I do 2 teaspoons per 10 gallons for both of the additives, although i only drain 25-30% of my tank water. So i am confused if 2 teaspoons is for a WHOLE tank of 10 gallons, or it means the water a drain FROM my 10 gallon. i am just a little bit worried that i am overdosing, although my fish have never seemed to have a problem with it, except with gill burns? My betta has been completely unaffected though :)

So bottom line, my questions is should i be using 2 teaspoons to treat a WHOLE 10 gallon tank, or just the 2-4 (depending on cleaning) gallons i drained?


Thanks, and don't forget the pictures---i will be doing a photoshoot for Honeycomb soon, and getting a Nerite snail! SO EXCITED!

ps, I USE THESE ADDITIVES WITH EVERY WATER CHANGE(EVERY WEEK)



Instructions on back of the dechlorinator: Add 2 teaspoons (10ml) for every (38liters) 10 gallons of water. A capful for 10 gallons. Shake well before using.

Instructions on back of Easy Balance:Use weekly. Add 2 teaspoons for every 10 gallons of water.Do not use with a low-oxygen aquarium(i don't have an arstone).

Sorry if the pictures are unclear, thats the best i can get at the moment.

What should i be dosing?

Thanks :)
Attached Images
   
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
:/ Hm. No idea about the second product there. I'm not convinced it really changes the water's balance so you have to do less cleanings..
As for Aquasafe, I bought 1 bottle. I didn't like the canola oil-like consitancy! But for my 2g I was adding half a capful without problems. These products always fail to help small tank owners out!! lol
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
:/ Hm. No idea about the second product there. I'm not convinced it really changes the water's balance so you have to do less cleanings..
As for Aquasafe, I bought 1 bottle. I didn't like the canola oil-like consitancy! But for my 2g I was adding half a capful without problems. These products always fail to help small tank owners out!! lol
Totally true. I wonder is there are nay better products out there. I guess if i got a new product i would have to introduce it slowly to the tank
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
I use topfin water conditioner. And yes I started dosing it in half amounts with the end of the bottle of aquasafe. So I used 50% of each until the yellow bottle was gone!
The topfin is at petsmart for like 10$ but it's a large bottle :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I use topfin water conditioner. And yes I started dosing it in half amounts with the end of the bottle of aquasafe. So I used 50% of each until the yellow bottle was gone!
The topfin is at petsmart for like 10$ but it's a large bottle :)
cool thanks!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #6 
Laki
Member
 
Laki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: St. John's NL
Anytime :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Anytime :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #8 
Drift
Member
 
Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
I used to use Prime water conditioner because it was more cost effective, but I couldn't stand the sulfur smell. My room is smaller and it just lingered for a couple hours.
I now use API's products for the most part. For the most part I use Stress Coat.

I don't see the need for the Easy Balance. IMO, the less chemicals in the water the better for the fish. I'm sure someone can come along and say differently, but if your tank is cycled and you are doing weekly water changes you shouldn't need it.

Also, you only need to condition the water you are adding. The water in your tank is already conditioned. (Hopefully :P)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
I used to use Prime water conditioner because it was more cost effective, but I couldn't stand the sulfur smell. My room is smaller and it just lingered for a couple hours.
I now use API's products for the most part. For the most part I use Stress Coat.

I don't see the need for the Easy Balance. IMO, the less chemicals in the water the better for the fish. I'm sure someone can come along and say differently, but if your tank is cycled and you are doing weekly water changes you shouldn't need it.

Also, you only need to condition the water you are adding. The water in your tank is already conditioned. (Hopefully :P)
Ok, thats good i don't need the easy balance then, i clean my water every week, and my tank is cycled :). So how much of the other dechlorinator should i really put in my water before i put it in the tank(partial water change) really?


Thanks, amazing answers!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:39 PM   #10 
Drift
Member
 
Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PA
I do about 20-25% water changes on my 10 gallon. So about 2-2.5gallons. That conditioner is basically 1 ml to 1 gallon so 2 to 2.5 mls depending on what you do. A little extra is not going to harm them, but that is money you are pouring in the tank. :P So you can always just do an even 3ml's. I just guestimate most of the time. At one point I measure it out with a syringe though.
I like to let the water sit in the bucket for 5 minutes just to be safe that the dechlorinator has dispersed, but it's not necessary.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
balance, conditioner, dechlorinator, stabilizer

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water dechlorinator... gel? OMGemily Betta Fish Care 6 03-04-2012 02:54 PM
dechlorinator and conditioner crystalmylovee Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 15 08-11-2011 05:42 PM
Tap Water Dechlorinator WDW Donna Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 7 07-04-2009 10:11 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.