Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 
Aus

What About a Stranger-Safe Donation Thread?

I realise a lot of members here are young people, and I am a mother of a teenage girl... so I am cautious to suggest meeting up with people you don't know, off the internet.

That said, I also notice a lot of folks not able to afford tank updates, etc.

While I am of the firm opinion that if a person can afford to buy take-out or CD's, they can blimmin' well afford a $10 heater or fish tank to make their pet comfortable.. I DO understand that this economic climate is a rough one for many people. Me included!

What I am proposing is a 'free to good home donation thread'. Name your city and what you have spare lying around the house.. a working heater, an old kritter keeper, a tank, filter, some tubing..

If somebody wants it, they can either pay for postage or arrange to meet up IN A PUBLIC PLACE AND WITH A PARENT/NOT ALONE to pick up the goods. Because creeps are everywhere. Some of them even keep fish...

--- No livestock --- is another suggestion. Just 'hardware' for fishkeeping.

--- And no greedy people snapping up everything and anything while they have 15 bettas, a 20 gallon sitting at home fully decked out, and disposable income! Grabbers ought to have their hands smacked. ;)

Mods, I completely understand if you don't think this is a great idea (this thread is just to feel the idea out, please don't post offers here!). But it's distressing to see so many inexperienced folks wanting to do good by their fish they've already bought, and $10 or $15 worth of essentials being out of their reach.

Discussion/ideas to help people to help others would be awesome.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 
Catfish Billy

I think this is a good idea but I would pay for postage because my parents, under NO circumstances, would let me meet up with someone.

When I'm older, I'll probably get a paper round or something to get consistent income to pay for my tanks! :)
Catfish Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #3 
Calypso77

I think it is a good idea. I have nothing I can offer myself as I am one of the many who can't afford much for a fish but I think it is a good safe way of helping.
Calypso77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 
Aus

Billy, I think your parents are very wise.

If it was Daughter wanting a freebie, I'd insist on postage or going with her to the pick-up place.

Of course, there's one or two Aussies here that I'd feel okay about meeting up with.. but that's me, using my adult (and somewhat eagle-eyed) old person's experience and judgment. Very different when it's a young person..

Calypso, if I didn't live probably 10 thousand miles from you, I'd love to help you out with my spare stuff..

OH - I forgot to add, and this is VERY important. If such a thread is approved, no-one should ask for or offer to mail plant materials across state or international lines, without checking the species and whether it's restricted..

^ sorry for the bold, lol. But I myself just had a nasty experience with customs due to being a lunkhead and not doing my homework.. and no-one with any shred of decency would want to be part of an ecological disaster..
Old 07-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #5 
mattoboy

I would be down for this idea. Parents dont always have the time to travel to pick up used tanks and such.

My area: Vancouver, BC

I would be looking for stuff for my brother! Thanks!

Will dig threw my stuff later and see what I have to put up!
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Shouldn't this be in the "Betta Fish Classifieds" section?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #7 
furubafan3

This sounds like a great idea! I gave up my tank set up and betta due to my brother's fish passing away and he was over joyed. I wish I could donate, but I am also one of many people who can't afford things. Even now I'm staring at the forums wistfully.
furubafan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #8 
Aus

Mattoboy, I haven't got permission yet to make the thread... this is just to feel the idea out, see what mods/members think.

Lebron, it's a discussion not a classified. So, no.

Furubafan, that was nice of you. :) Giving things away feels pretty good, when you know it brings happiness to someone.

Last edited by Aus; 07-05-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #9 
Purple

I think it's a good idea. Maybe you could make a new thread in the classified section? This is just a discussion. There could be the actual offers and such happening in the other thread.

Honestly, it's not that unsafe. And everything is pretty much public on here, so if our little friend BettaFishLover1 goes off to pick up a tank from SerialKiller8000 and doesn't come online for a few days... Hey, at least we know who did it!

That sounds horrible... Omg... xD

Maybe there should be a rule that within 2 days of picking up your things if you actually go to get it you have to post that you're safe? Or if you did it by mail you should post that you got it? :P
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #10 
Aus

I think a check-in protocol is a great idea, on both accounts. "Hi, thanks, got the parcel!" and "Hey guys, the new tank is great! (and ps, I'm not dead)" could both serve to make sure people know safety is important.

I won't make the proper thread in classifieds until I am satisfied that admin is okay with it and a few more members chime in.