Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #1 
Purple

Exclamation I Hurt Donald! )': PLEASE HELP!

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon glass bowl (I usually only fill it half way)
What temperature is your tank? Not sure
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, but he can see my female fish. They don't mind each other and they is absolutely no aggression/fear/flaring or anything like that.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? A wee bit of BettaMin Tropical Medley (flakes) and Hikari frozen brine shrimp cubes (mostly). I recently switched from one Aqua Culture Betta Bite a day along with the shrimp to the flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day. Sunday is fasting day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra conditioner and pH balance.

Water Parameters
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? The back of the anal fin is torn. Above the missing chunk is a giant red spot.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning during the water change. I went to cup him, and I accidentally pushed his fin against the glass. He swam away and it tore part of the fin off.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put a towel over his tank to keep him from getting stressed. He always has a scarf over his over (to prevent jumping) and he seems to really like it. He even sleeps right next to where the scarf is bunched up next to his tank. I figured he would like the towel.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has extremely mild SBD when I first got him (about a week or two ago). He would only show symptoms when he was moved a lot.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Old. He's huge and not as active as my other fish. I got him from Petsmart.

I feel absolutely terrible for hurting him... I've been crying nonstop since. I use a red plastic Solo cup to get him when I do water changes. ANY advice would be great. Tomorrow I'm going to the store and buying him a heater, a cave, stress coat, and aquarium salt. Is there anything else I should pick up?
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

First of all, you should never do a 100% change every day. It's going to get stressful. If part of his fin is missing, it'll heal. Just clean water should fix it up. Now, stop crying and make sure that his water is clean. Oh, and don't add ph balance if you don't know the ph. Betta Fish can go 6.0-8.0 range. He'll be fine. You should have gotten a heater in the first place, though. They are tropical fish. You could give him high-protein foods to make it heal faster. And use aquarium salt if needed. I sometimes use it to stop infection. He WILL be fine. I know it. Good luck! :)

Last edited by LebronTheBetta; 07-02-2012 at 07:11 PM.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
First of all, you should never do a 100% change every day. It's going to get stressful. If part of his fin is missing, it'll heal. Just clean water should fix it up. Now, stop crying and make sure that his water is clean. Oh, and don't add ph balance if you don't know the ph. Betta Fish can go 6.0-8.0 range. He'll be fine. You should have gotten a heater in the first place, though. They are tropical fish.
+1
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur

Just keep the water clean and warm. A heater is a must for all betta fish. Be careful of the heater you get, make sure to get a thermometer to keep track of how hot the tank is getting.

Dont do 100% changes everyday, just do a 2 25% and a 100% a week for a 3 gallon.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 
Purple

I really only keep 1 or 1.5 gallons in his tank, though. I've heard for 1 gallon you should clean it once a day.

What's "high protein foods"? Do I just throw a t-bone steak in there? :P I thought brine shrimp had protein. What do you suggest?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

i use aqueon betta pellets
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
I really only keep 1 or 1.5 gallons in his tank, though. I've heard for 1 gallon you should clean it once a day.

What's "high protein foods"? Do I just throw a t-bone steak in there? :P I thought brine shrimp had protein. What do you suggest?
Oh right, you didn't fill it all the way. 1 100% and 1 50% a week should maintain water quality. Oldfishlady Proved that this maintains water quality. You know, high-protein. Like some chicken or a grilled steak. JK ;P Like live foods for Betta Fish. Mosquito larvae, things like that.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #8 
xjenuhfur

I still think 100% changes everyday are stressful. I would probably do a rotation of water changes every other day or smaller 25%wc in between a 100% change. But this is an opinion.

Still, get a heater and monitor the temp. :) Warm, clean water will be best.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #9 
Purple

I don't think waiting not even 24 hours for warmth will really hurt him... Is there any brand of heater that is best for small tanks? I would like a programmable one because I heard that the ones that only heat to like 78 degrees usually stop working after a few weeks, plus if he gets sick or something I might have to heat his tank more.

I don't have access to live foods. I can only go to Petsmart. Are bloodworms okay? Pellets? (I'm a bit nervous to use pellets because of the gluten.)
Old 07-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #10 
xjenuhfur

Pellets are okay, a good quality pellet will have more protein than anything else.
Petsmart has a frozen food section. Buy some frozen bloodworms. :) Freeze-dried can cause bloat. xD