Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #1 
Striker0086

New to the site and to Betta keeping

I'm new to Betta keeping and new to the site as well. I have been looking around all day and I have to say that the community here seems friendly. I only have one Betta that I just got today*cough* yesterday. I believe it is a male. I got him from Walmart in Circleville, Ohio. I live in Amanda, OH. As I said before I'm a newbie to this, although I do learn fast.

A little bit more about me......
I live in the small town of Amanda, OH. I live with my parents and two brothers, I'm a twin. We have four yellow labs; I have 7 hermit crabs. 4 purple pinchers and 2 Ecuadorian. I am an active member of both Landhermitcrabs.com and Hermitcrabassocition.com. I am will be going into 10th grade this August.

About the fish...

I lost my two goldfish a few months ago and never took down their tank. I wanted to get some plants and just put them in there with a few snails. I have since got over my snail obsession and still wanted some plants. I know I would like to add some java fern. Anyway, my mom wanted to go out and get some groceries so I went with her. We went to Walmart and I went over to the pet section to see what they had. I was surprised to see that they had fish as I don't go to this Walmart very often. I started looking over the fish and my eyes landed on the bettas. I started looking through them and before I knew it I was separating them how much I liked their color. I went back to my mom and asked her if I could get one. I know she didn't want me to get one, but she let me. I had my little guy picked out before I left the fish to ask. He seemed healthy. So now I have a Betta.
Striker0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #2 
greenfishfl

lol welcome to the world of bettas most of us have been bitten by the betta bbug witch makes us have alot of them xD
greenfishfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:47 AM   #3 
staffylover

Hello and welcome
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 AM   #4 
Striker0086

Thanks for the welcome! I hope the betta bug doesn't get me because I don't have much room for more!lol Although I am loving all of these pics. Can anyone help me identify my betta? I think it is a spade tail.

0701120200.jpg by dylan644, on Flickr

0701120159.jpg by dylan644, on Flickr

The pictures do not do justice to what he really looks like.

He is small, not that it isn't obvious in the picture!lol

Last edited by Striker0086; 07-01-2012 at 03:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #5 
greenfishfl

well it happens to alot of us anyways the pic in there does look like a spade tail but im not good at figuring out xD
greenfishfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #6 
Striker0086

I may need to get a tank heater. I don't know the temperature of my tank. I never had a need for a thermometer for my goldfish because they could take the colder and warm temperatures. My house is about 74-76 during the summer. I hear the recommended temp is 77. It looks like I am canceling my canoe trip cause I need the money for the fish instead. I don't know how big my tank is, so I can't estimate a heater for it. I have to guess that my tank is about 5gal. If this heater fits my tank will I be able to use it?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A12IPMVN62L4AI
Old 07-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi, welcome to the forum.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #8 
dbooknook

Here is a more inexpensive heater.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-Watt-Expl...item1e6bc726ef
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #9 
MaisyDawgThirteen

How large is your tank? If it's a 5 gallon, I'd reccomend 50 watts, 10 gallon 100 watts, 2.5 25 watts . . . The larger your tank the more expensive the heater. Bettas like about 76-82, but 78-80 is the sweet spot. ;) You should take a look at some of the stickies, they are a big help. Your betta looks like a young male VT, and his colouring looks like royal blue with purple wash. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #10 
lelei

He is very pretty:)..looks like my rescue VT..Sapphire..also a bright blue..btw....Welcome to the forum:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote