Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #1 
ndfreak

Betta and Ghost Shrimp?

Hey guys, I'm new here so sorry if this is a dumb question. I've had my male betta (Beefy) for around 6 months now in a ~1.5 gallon tank and he's been doing very well, healthy as ever. I went to Petsmart and the woman in the fish department said that even though it was a small tank, since i had some moss in the bottom it would be fine and even beneficial to add ghost shrimp to the tank. Yesterday I added them, after I changed the water. Beefy didn't seem threatened, he swam near them but otherwise never flared or paid them much attention. The water in the tank is roughly 75 degrees Fahrenheit, which from what I have read is healthy for the shrimp. I woke up this morning, and the two shrimp were close together and not moving, though I saw no injuries or damage. Basically what I'm asking is...were they dead or sleeping/something else?
ndfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #2 
laoshun

well.. just poke at them and if they jump then they are alive. usually they move their arms quite frequently.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #3 
ndfreak

They were dead...but no body parts missing/not mangled at all, so I do not think Beefy killed them. Any ideas on why they died? Help would be greatly appreciated. Also, yesterday I fed them blood worms, if that has any significance.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 AM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Ghost Shrimp, or any type of Shrimp are Fragile to Water Quality. When do you do Water Changes? They really are Fragile. Bloodworms don't have anything to do with this. Did they have enough Food? They eat Uneaten Foods from other Fish. Maybe they starved. I had 4 Ghost Shrimpies with my Betta. They died of being Eaten by him. He got a bit Fat but he's better.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #5 
ndfreak

I had changed the water earlier yesterday before adding the shrimp. I used betta water conditioner, measured out for the volume of water. The shrimp had been eating, they are the blood worms and some betta flakes, so I don't think they starved, but maybe I'm underestimating their appetites. Should I try again with new shrimp, giving more food?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #6 
kfish

They're cheap enough to try again! I know I would. Sky has mangled two ghost shrimpies, but he doesn't -eat- them. He just injures them then they die. X_X He acts like they're a game, lol. He doesn't try to attack them usually and just chases them all around. I replace them just because it's good entertainment/exercise for him... maybe that's mean. Lol. It took him 7 months to kill 2, though, because his tank is heavily planted, so he doesn't see them more than once or twice a day. But it only took Mr. Fish a day to kill 2. I didn't give him new ones, lol.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote