Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #1 
underdebate

A scary jumping experience

Sorry, I've just now calmed down a little and had to share. (This story has a happy ending, I promise-- HE'S FINE. You can keep reading.)

After dinner with a friend and her family, I came home earlier this evening and decided to go upstairs and get changed into my PJs. (And here's the thing-- I wasn't even supposed to be getting changed yet, because we were going to be setting off some fireworks later and, you know, I didn't want to be in my pyjamas for that. But I had this urge to go upstairs.) I'd gotten dressed and was putting my clothes away, and out of the corner of my eye I spotted this black thing on my carpet. It had fins. I literally yelped and knelt down to cup the little body on the floor.

Taffler's tank is kept on top of a large-ish portable fireplace next to my bed-- the top doesn't get hot, and mostly I just put it on some nights in the winter before I brush my teeth so my room will be warmer when I go to bed. It has a glass lid, which I kept slid slightly open so I can thread the heater cord through and get some air into the tank. After his water change today, with his water at a slightly higher level than normal, I guess I'd forgotten to push the lid close enough to the edge that he couldn't jump out-- and he did.

I noticed immediately that he was still wet when I picked him up, and he started flopping around in my hands, shocked and scared-- which I took as a good sign. Moving quite possibly faster than I've ever moved, I gently held him in two hands, moved the lid off his tank and slipped him in. Fortunately, he started swimming around almost immediately; I think me coming into the room had gotten him excited, and he'd jumped while I was there.

He's absolutely fine now, and the fall doesn't appear to have hurt him-- he was a little exhausted at first but after a bit of rest he seems to be back to himself. And like, I have two cats-- if I hadn't been up there at that time, if I hadn't decided I should get changed, if I hadn't looked as I was leaving the room, he'd probably be gone now.

NOT AN ADRENALINE RUSH I NEEDED TONIGHT, THANK YOU, TAFF.
underdebate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #2 
peaches3221

Oh my Glad he's okay!!!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #3 
Purple

My fish, Sally, ALWAYS jumps every. single. time I put her in a cup to clean her tank. EVERY TIME! She never jumps in her tank, though! NEVER! She likes to give mommy a heart attack.

"No, Sally, that's NOT how evolution works." "But moooooom!!"
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #4 
dbooknook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple View Post
My fish, Sally, ALWAYS jumps every. single. time I put her in a cup to clean her tank. EVERY TIME! She never jumps in her tank, though! NEVER! She likes to give mommy a heart attack.

"No, Sally, that's NOT how evolution works." "But moooooom!!"
That reminds me of Zackybears's signature.
dbooknook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdebate View Post
Sorry, I've just now calmed down a little and had to share. (This story has a happy ending, I promise-- HE'S FINE. You can keep reading.)

After dinner with a friend and her family, I came home earlier this evening and decided to go upstairs and get changed into my PJs. (And here's the thing-- I wasn't even supposed to be getting changed yet, because we were going to be setting off some fireworks later and, you know, I didn't want to be in my pyjamas for that. But I had this urge to go upstairs.) I'd gotten dressed and was putting my clothes away, and out of the corner of my eye I spotted this black thing on my carpet. It had fins. I literally yelped and knelt down to cup the little body on the floor.

Taffler's tank is kept on top of a large-ish portable fireplace next to my bed-- the top doesn't get hot, and mostly I just put it on some nights in the winter before I brush my teeth so my room will be warmer when I go to bed. It has a glass lid, which I kept slid slightly open so I can thread the heater cord through and get some air into the tank. After his water change today, with his water at a slightly higher level than normal, I guess I'd forgotten to push the lid close enough to the edge that he couldn't jump out-- and he did.

I noticed immediately that he was still wet when I picked him up, and he started flopping around in my hands, shocked and scared-- which I took as a good sign. Moving quite possibly faster than I've ever moved, I gently held him in two hands, moved the lid off his tank and slipped him in. Fortunately, he started swimming around almost immediately; I think me coming into the room had gotten him excited, and he'd jumped while I was there.

He's absolutely fine now, and the fall doesn't appear to have hurt him-- he was a little exhausted at first but after a bit of rest he seems to be back to himself. And like, I have two cats-- if I hadn't been up there at that time, if I hadn't decided I should get changed, if I hadn't looked as I was leaving the room, he'd probably be gone now.

NOT AN ADRENALINE RUSH I NEEDED TONIGHT, THANK YOU, TAFF.

Oh my goodness! So glad your little boy is doing better! I hope he feels better!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:59 PM   #6 
Bethydan

Fortunately, I don't have any jumpers. My mother's spoiled housecat would have a feast. She knows she's not allowed in my room, but I used to catch her sneaking in to bat at the fishes. My cat doesn't particularly care about anything but feeding time. She loves to smell the fish food. She's a big fan of bloodworms. So she sits by the fish tank stand patiently whenever feeding time rolls around to remind me to feed them.
Bethydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #7 
repru04

Lol! I have one who I put in a cup for a water change. I set the cup by my sink with a few dirty dishes. I left for a while and when I came back, one of my cups was empty! I found him lying in a new glass that I had just bought and had rinsed out but set on its side. He was lying in a wet spot in the glass. His name is Lucky.
repru04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #8 
Knitterly

Jumping is scary! I have a jumper who is now fully recovered. Bad girl!
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #9 
LizzyP

I had a fish jump out of his water cleaning container onto my dresser and when I went to scoop him back up he jumped off the dresser into a box of my boyfriend's high school football awards.....And fell to the very bottom. Luckily I got him out, dusty, dazed and confused but nonetheless he was fine. :) Glad yours made it!!
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #10 
staffylover

Glad he made it, sadly at weekend my jumper did not

Hope your boy is OK after a rest
staffylover is offline   Reply With Quote