Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #1 
Frizandi

Exclamation Is there hope for Ringo?

Hello, fish people!

I've had rather a cataclysmic mishap with our Betta fish, Ringo. I noticed today that he didn't seem right. He's a little bit faded and he's just sitting on the bottom of the tank (2 1/2 gallons, I think). My investigations revealed a fairly catastrophic failure of the ammonia meter, and when I tested the water, well, it's a miracle that the fish is alive at all. I don't think I even want to tell you what the number was. Let's just say it was WAY over the safe limit.

I did several water changes to get the ammonia down to 0.2 ppm (I TOLD you it was high!) and I put some aquarium salt in. My next move was to clean out and set up another tank that belonged to our dear departed George. I'm waiting for that tank to come up to temperature.

would it be too much of a shock to move Ringo into the new tank when the temperature is right? And is all lost? Is there hope for Ringo?

You've always been so kind, helpful, and supportive, and I thank you in advance for your input. Say a little prayer, if you can.

Blueberry (RIP), Peanut Butter (RIP), Jelly (RIP), George (RIP), Ringo

PS: Please don't get the wrong idea. All the deceased fish have left us over a period of about six years.
Frizandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:40 AM   #2 
3l1zabeth

I said a prayer and there is hope. also, you can move him into a different tank.
3l1zabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #3 
Frizandi

Exclamation Ringo needs your help!!!!

Oh, please help!

Ringo is still sitting on the bottom of the tank. I've moved him to a tank with nice, clean water, but he's still sitting on the bottom, and I'm not sure he's eating anything.

We're afraid we're going to lose him.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to help him! Or is this just a waiting game? Is it too late?

Anyone?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Give him some time to heal. Exactly how high was his ammonia? I have had fish from petco that have had ammonia levels so high, it turned the test water BLUE and a few others that had tested at 8.0 They are pretty hardy fish but it depends alot on water chemistry. i think a higher PH makes ammonia more lethal then it would be at a lower ph, or maybe its vice versa. I dont remember which way it is.

If the level was high, he may have ammonia poisioning:
Symptoms:

• Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
  • Purple or red gills
  • Fish is lethargic
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fish lays at the bottom of the tank
  • Red streaking on the fins or body
Ammonia poisoning can happen suddenly, or over a period of days. Initially the fish may be seen gasping at the surface for air. The gills will begin to turn red or lilac in color, and may appear to be bleeding. The fish will being to lose its appetite and become increasingly lethargic. In some cases fish may be observed laying at the bottom of the tank with clamped fins.

As the damage from the ammonia poisoning continues, the tissues will be damaged as evidenced by red streaks or bloody patches that appear on the body and fins. Internal damage is occurring to the brain, organs, and central nervous system. The fish begins to hemorrhage internally and externally, and eventually dies.

~~~~~
Do you notice any of these symptoms? or any other things like white fuzz, white dots, stringy white poop...
If it is caused by ammonia- he may just need time to heal a bit. Usually clean, warm, conditioned water is all it takes.

Also is your tank filtered or unfiltered? In order to keep ammonia levels down, you need to do a water change at least once a week. For tanks that are cycled - you only need to do a small water change each week. If its unfiltered you should do a 100% change with gravel cleaning and a smaller 50% once a week.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 
Frizandi

Exclamation

My awful confession is that the ammonia level was 8.0. The was in a tank with a filter, but the filter was in need of replacing. I also had an ammonia meter in the tank that was pretty faithful and accurate.....until it apparently stopped working. Ringo seemed fine until a few days ago when he became lethargic, which is very unlike him. My husband attributed it to the water temp, which had crept up, so he put some ice in a Ziploc and floated it in the tank (a trick we got from this very site).

I started testing the water as well and that's when I got that horrible reading.

Ringo is a red fish, so it's difficult for me to tell anything about his gills. He has no red streaks or anything. His color has faded somewhat. Every now and again he swims up to the top and back sown, but I don't think he's gasping for breath.....I don't think. He's just spending a lot of time sitting on the bottom. He moves around every now and again. Sometimes his fins are open, sometimes they're closed.

I put him in a different tank filled with Poland Spring water, which I tested first and it's wonderfully inert. I don't have a filter in the bubbler yet as I need to get a replacement. I'm trying yo keep the tank between 82 and 86 degrees. I also put some Stress Coat in the water when I put him in.

So there you have it. I hope he's not doomed and that I haven't done too much damage. Can he bounce back from this?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #6 
BettaGirl677

I'm not sure what else you can do :( I said a little prayer and I wish you the best of luck
BettaGirl677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #7 
Frizandi

Unhappy

He's moving around a little. Every time I go into the room he lives in, he's in a different place in the tank, or he's facing the other way. This morning I found him resting in one of the plants more toward the top of the tank.So he's not completely stationary. I don't know if this is good or bad or indifferent.

Keep the positive energy coming. If anybody has any other ideas, PLEASE share them with me.

We love this little guy. He's part of our cat/guinea pig/fish/stick bug/snail menagerie.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #8 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaGirl677 View Post
I'm not sure what else you can do :( I said a little prayer and I wish you the best of luck
I said a little prayer also, and i hope your little Ringo gets better! I Thimk he just needs time to adjust :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizandi View Post
He's moving around a little. Every time I go into the room he lives in, he's in a different place in the tank, or he's facing the other way. This morning I found him resting in one of the plants more toward the top of the tank.So he's not completely stationary. I don't know if this is good or bad or indifferent.

Keep the positive energy coming. If anybody has any other ideas, PLEASE share them with me.

We love this little guy. He's part of our cat/guinea pig/fish/stick bug/snail menagerie.
If he's moving, i think thats a pretty god sign :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #10 
Frizandi

Question

Thank you for all your good wishes and positive thoughts. I really believe in the power of healing energy.

I have a question. If he were gasping for air at the top of the tank, what would that look like? I don't think he is, but I want to know what to look for because knowledge is power.

Still hangin' in..................