Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #11 
LizzyP

I was told you don't want to do 100% water change with bottled water because the pH in the water might be way off from yours, and you might shock him. But I don't think that's the problem here.

Is the tank you have him in now heated? If it isn't I suggest a heater. How is he looking now?

Gasping for air at the top is...Well, gasping for air. Mouth opening and closing, looking like he's trying to suck in as much air as possible?
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #12 
Frizandi

I will test the Ph of the tank ASAP. I've used bottled water before (only Poland Spring, because I've tested it previously) and my recollection is that pH wasn't an issue. But I'll test it again, nonetheless.

I don't currently have at heater in the tank, although I do have one. I haven't needed it since we had a mild winter and the tank is in my kitchen. The temperature generally stays in the low to mid 80s all by itself.

So far, he's still sitting on the bottom of the tank, but he is still moving about.

Thank you for the ph tip. I'll test it out.
Frizandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #13 
LizzyP

Have you tried enticing him with a treat, like a bloodworm? Maybe that will get his appetite up and running again...Hmm. Just an idea.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #14 
Frizandi

I only have dried blood worms. would that be OK for him?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, that's what she means.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #16 
Frizandi

I gave him the bloodworm, but I don't think he ate it. I wish I knew what to do. At least he's still moving around, albeit not much.

I'm patient. I've brought bettas back from the brink of death before. I'll do whatever it takes.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #17 
Blue Fish

Try not to worry too much, but I know that's easier said than done. :)
Remember, they can go almost a month without eating, and just think about how you feel after you've been sick...it takes a few days to bounce back completely. :)

I had a petco rescue who was in really bad shape from ammonia poisioning, and he's now doing pretty well. I didn't test his water in my hurry to get him OUT of there (which I really regret now...), but it was bad enough that his water had taken on a yellow color. His poor little gills were black, lying on the bottom of the cup with fins clamped, gasping for air (gills/flare plate opening and closing quickly, mouth opening and closing quickly), tail bitten down badly, and it was so bad his poor *scales* were sloughing off.
I brought him home, put him into new treated tap water (shallow tank), gave him some plants which he ignored, and did 1tsp AQ salt to 1 gallon of water (dissolve salt in jug of water, then put into tank) and did the "double dose" of stress coat as rec'd on the bottle. I used Jungle Start Right with aloe vera. He didn't eat for the first week. Completely ignored the food at first, laid in his tank and looked pitiful. After about five days, he started moving around a bit more. I'm not sure when he started eating (he eats off the *bottom* of the tank...so it took me almost two weeks to realize what was going on), but I'm pretty sure it was at least a week before he felt well enough to eat again.

Geoffrey is now in his 5 gallon (moved last night), and he's not as active as my other boys, spends a lot of time slowly swimming around and sleeping in his plants near the surface of the water, but he's bright eyed and eats and is interested in what's going on around him. I don't know if that's just his personality, or if it's something that changed with him when he got the ammonia poisioning. He fans out his fins and floats in the water and doesn't seem to be in any distress/or ill, and will, very occasionally, flare at his tank mate (divided 10 gallon, Chaucer almost never stops swimming around, which makes Geoff look even more lethargic... ;) but he's just a sweet, solitary, and quiet sort of guy. I don't know if he was like that before, or if something changed with him after his experience in the ammonia water.

-I'd put him into regular treated tap water because it has minerals in it that can help them heal.
-stress coat is great, and can only help
-since your guy doesn't have any skin or fin issues, I don't think I'd do the AQ salt, the stresscoat is probably enough. :)
-keep his water level low and give him nice soft live or silk plants that float near the surface so that he can float up there comfortably where the air is.
-keep him warm and comfortable (regular water changes to make sure that the levels are all appropriate.)

I'd think that since he's eating some, and he survived the initial toxicity and the time immediately after, that he's just needing some healing time before he's back to normal. :)

Hang in there, and don't beat yourself up over it, accidents happen to everybody. :) Prayers for you and your boy's complete recovery! :) Keep us posted with his progress. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #18 
Frizandi

Unhappy Sad day

Thank you for all your encouragement and kind words. Unfortunately Ringo left us sometime during the night.

I really thought he was going to turn around. We're pretty sad here.

I guess this brings me to my next question. We need to set up our tanks for the next two fish we're going to rescue. What's the best way to clean the tanks and equipment? I know I shouldn't use soap of any kind, and I want to get these tanks set up ASAP so two more little ones can have a chance at happiness.

I feel absolutely dreadful about Ringo, because I feel I should have known better than to trust the ammonia meter. I guess this has made me a little smarter, but our poor, dear Ringo is gone and we are devastated.

George and Ringo have stepped aside so that two more fish can be freed from their tiny, dirty bowls. And, just like we did with George and Ringo, we will probably pick the rattiest fish we can because we know that no one else would want them. That will be George and Ringo's little aquatic legacy.

Once again, thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. It was most appreciated.

John and Paul are waiting at Petland.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM   #19 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizandi View Post
Thank you for all your encouragement and kind words. Unfortunately Ringo left us sometime during the night.

I really thought he was going to turn around. We're pretty sad here.

I guess this brings me to my next question. We need to set up our tanks for the next two fish we're going to rescue. What's the best way to clean the tanks and equipment? I know I shouldn't use soap of any kind, and I want to get these tanks set up ASAP so two more little ones can have a chance at happiness.

I feel absolutely dreadful about Ringo, because I feel I should have known better than to trust the ammonia meter. I guess this has made me a little smarter, but our poor, dear Ringo is gone and we are devastated.

George and Ringo have stepped aside so that two more fish can be freed from their tiny, dirty bowls. And, just like we did with George and Ringo, we will probably pick the rattiest fish we can because we know that no one else would want them. That will be George and Ringo's little aquatic legacy.

Once again, thank you for all your kind words and encouragement. It was most appreciated.

John and Paul are waiting at Petland.

I am SO sorry for your loss! Atleast you know you gave little Ringo the quality and quaninty of life he deserved :) He is under the Rainbow Bridge noe, or the fish tank in the sky :)

I am so, so sorry for your loss.
And i am sure all the bettas appreciate you rescuing them :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #20 
Frizandi

Thank you so much <3. If Ringo is at Rainbow Bridge he is in good company. I have a virtual armada of critters there waiting for me.