Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #1 
chicagojo

Fly died in the tank...

Earlier today, I noticed a dead fly floating on the surface of one of our betta's tanks. I just did a 100% water change last night so the longest it could have possibly been in there was maybe 15-18 hrs. I scooped it out with a cup and disposed of it as soon as I saw it. Is there any concern I should have about the impact of having a dead fly for a "roommate" on the betta's health? Betta seems to be behaving normally so far...
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #2 
RainbowSocks

I'm relatively new to bettas, but I wouldn't personally worry about it. I've read some members even feed their bettas live fruit flies they've captured in their homes. Depending on the tank size, and if it's cycled, I might check the ammonia and make sure any decay didn't mess with the water quality.
RainbowSocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I'm surprised it wasn't munched on. Many bettas enjoy a dead fly as a treat (ew, but their natural habitat).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #4 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I'm surprised it wasn't munched on. Many bettas enjoy a dead fly as a treat (ew, but their natural habitat).
Huh, that is funny. Maybe it had just died in there when I saw it. Our fish Feathers was swimming around it curiously, but as far as I could tell hadn't indulged...we do 2x weekly water changes anyway (2.5 G unfiltered tank) so I'm thinking any potential ill effects of the fly will soon be gone...
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

My fish like ants. No worry's but I think checking the ammonia may be a good idea just in case it's been in there a little longer than you think.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #6 
craiger75

I found a dead moth in mine today and was also surprised he didn't get munched. Either my betta didn't notice it, didn't know what to do with it, or he's just that spoiled - lol!
craiger75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #7 
Kenny G

Do not worry. It's no big deal. Betta's eat smaller flying insects. Flies are drawn to bright light so its not surprising that you found one in your tank.
Kenny G is offline   Reply With Quote