Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #1 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Question Putting a snail in 10 gal. with Honeycomb?

Do you think he will be bothered by it (he rarely flares- not even at his reflection)? He is super sweet, but he has been in that tank by himself for 2 years and i am afraid he will be stressed because something else is in his territory, although he is smaller then most bettas and there is plenty of room in the tank. I have a lot of algae in my tank, so the snail dosent have to worry about food, plus i have algae wafers if it isn't sufficient. My ph is high, and my water very hard. So my main question, what do you think will happen? I am only planning on ONE mystery snail, thats it. Can the snail harm my betta?
For more info on Honeycomb, visit any of my posts, threads or public profiles.

Note: i have had mystery snails before(2) but they only lived for 2 weeks (i was very inexperienced in the hobby then) and i have done a lot of research since so i can say i am confident i can provide it a home and a healthy diet and environment.

Any comments or appropriate questions welcome :)

Thanks again!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #2 
jeffegg2
Member
 
jeffegg2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westland, Michigan
Cool

I have some blond apple snails in my tanks now. They tend to nip at their antenna, but now they crawl around with the antenna retracted... They do a pretty good job of cleaning the sides of algae. The Betta's no longer take much interest in them.

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffegg2 View Post
I have some blond apple snails in my tanks now. They tend to nip at their antenna, but now they crawl around with the antenna retracted... They do a pretty good job of cleaning the sides of algae. The Betta's no longer take much interest in them.

Jeff.
Thanks Jeff,

looks like Honeycomb will have a new tank mate :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #4 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
I'd reccomend nerite snails, they do a great job of eating algae, and are much smaller than apple/mystery snails. The snail in my avatar is my nerite, named Usain Bolt. :-]
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
I'd reccomend nerite snails, they do a great job of eating algae, and are much smaller than apple/mystery snails. The snail in my avatar is my nerite, named Usain Bolt. :-]
Cute name Maisy! You know what i think my local petco has them for sale, but they are marked marine? Are they hardy because i have a very high ph and very hard water, and i also have been having some nitrite/nitrate issues lately, as my tank seems to be going through a mini cycle(i cleaned a little too much i think). I have a 10 gallon
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #6 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
Cute name Maisy! You know what i think my local petco has them for sale, but they are marked marine? Are they hardy because i have a very high ph and very hard water, and i also have been having some nitrite/nitrate issues lately, as my tank seems to be going through a mini cycle(i cleaned a little too much i think). I have a 10 gallon
They are freshwater, but need brackish to breed. Hard water is perfect for snails, it makes their shells stronger. ;) Mine has been alive for almost 6 months in my tanks.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
They are freshwater, but need brackish to breed. Hard water is perfect for snails, it makes their shells stronger. ;) Mine has been alive for almost 6 months in my tanks.
Perfect thanks :)

does that apply to all nerite snails or just the zebra nerite ones? (freshwater)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #8 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Zebra is just a colour pattern. ;)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish
Member
 
MyRainbowBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Zebra is just a colour pattern. ;)
so that means any nerite snail could work? perfect thanks Maisy :)
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #10 
MaisyDawgThirteen
Member
 
MaisyDawgThirteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/nerite.php
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
apple snail, compatibility, mystery snail, territory

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New good quality pics of Honeycomb!!!! MyRainbowBettaFish Betta Pictures 5 07-09-2012 11:09 PM
Honeycomb is changing colors ? MyRainbowBettaFish Betta Pictures 18 07-01-2012 09:52 PM
My Betta Fish Honeycomb!!!!! MyRainbowBettaFish Betta Pictures 2 05-12-2012 10:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.