Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM   #1 
GBS

Very lethargic and other problems...

Spike is unwell again. We got in in April and it's been one issue after another. For some reason, there is no beneficial bacteria growing in the tank which is making the ammonia spike.

For the past month I have been doing at least 25% water changes daily. He really perked up about 3 weeks ago and now he's lethargic and he just stays in one spot at the top of the tank and barley moves. He will eat. He's not fuzzy (for a change); however, all his fins are clumbed especially the tail ones. Two weeks ago he didn't get a partial water change for 3 days as I was away from work those days and he's just been sickly every since.

His water temp is 79. He's bloated. His color has faded.

I don't know what else to do for him .
GBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #2 
lvandert

What size tank? how often do you do a water change? How often and how much do you feed him?
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 
GBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
What size tank? how often do you do a water change? How often and how much do you feed him?
2.5 gallons
daily 25%
once a day a pellet and a worm usually
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #4 
lvandert

what kind of worm? are there live plants in it?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #5 
GBS

No live plants and freeze dried bloodworms. Lately, we are mainly giving him only a pellet or two per day.

He is no better today.

He's had such a rough life with us and I wish there was more I could do for him but I just don't know.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #6 
lvandert

hmm try a 100% water change every other day and try to get some stress coat. it'll say how much to dose for "replacing slime coat..."
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #7 
Aus

It's possible to cycle a filtered 2.5 - I've cycled my 3.5 and kept it stable - but crashes are always a possibility in small tanks, and I don't think I'd try in anything smaller than what I have (which is also very heavily planted..).

If your ammonia's spiking, chuck the filter and go to a 1 x 50%, 1 x 100% wc per week schedule. That way you can be sure to avoid the spikes happening and not have to change water every day.

If he's had fuzzies and his tail is clamped permanently, he has a fungus issue - which is actually bacterial - and he might benefit from a course of antibiotic like Kanaplex, which treats a broad range of bacteria that cause fin rot and related problems.

If he's had heavy ammonia exposure, he could have damaged gills - a bit like emphysema in people, having trouble breathing. A little AQ salt in his water for a week might help him there, but if there's gill damage he'll always be a bit sickly (I have a fish like that, came home with dark gills, took me ages to work out why they were that horrible colour and he was sick all the time).

Sorry to hear your fish is so ill. I hope he gets better.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #8 
GBS

Sadly, Spike didn't make it. He put up a good fight for 3 months.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #9 
Aus

I'm really sorry!

Please don't feel discouraged. :( My first fish came to me with all kinds of problems. So did my second betta.. though he's miraculously still hanging in there, I don't know how - he's had everything under the sun, and never grew much.. sometimes it's just a matter of learning where not to buy fish.

My 3rd & 4th are thriving, though and.. I'm glad I kept at it. I hope you have a better experience next time.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote