Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #11 
WetBetta

It's just that I've gotten film before from a standing container... but I've never seen anything like that. Makes me think that either something else is getting into the water via the fan or the fan is fueling the film by hyper oxygenating it.

I've had containers stand under a ceiling fan before that got film... but geeze... which makes me think something else might be going on... will research this.

Last edited by WetBetta; 07-04-2012 at 01:54 AM. Reason: Add Info
WetBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #12 
WetBetta

Hmmmmm... found this:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...ite-film/page2
Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #13 
Sena Hansler

I forget... Does your tank have a filter? I do notice sometimes with my open top tanks, that if I have a filter the pad can get slimy (so I give it a good rinse), but the water doesn't even get the minor protein film. I think the slime you have would stress the betta because they like going to the surface poor fish is meeting an invisible forcefield lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #14 
LittleWatty

The 3 gallon doesn't have a filter (which is the one that had problems), but my 6.6 does (and its never had problems). I'll probably be running tests over the next few weeks, trying to figure out what has caused this film, so I can avoid it in my 6.6 gallon. I'll be running the heater alone in the 3 gallon and see if it causes a film after 4 days, if it does nothing, I'll add some stress coat in my normal dosing regiment. If that still does nothing, I'll add the fan (if Sonas doesn't need it). If that STILL does nothing, I'll remain clueless XD
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Well then if nothing else determines it, try adding a filter (I have Marina slim adjustable filter)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

I've had something similar happen before. it happened in my quarantine plant tub. I was also using stress coat at the time, also was medicating with kordon ich attack, probably had some salt in it too :S The top had this film that was thick gooey and brown. I tossed everything, lol
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #17 
WetBetta

I don't think it's the Stress Coat, at least not entirely. I use Stress Coat religiously and have never had anything close to this.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #18 
LittleWatty

Well, as I've finally settled some things down in my apartment, my tests can officially begin. I got some ghost shrimp, which I had to keep in the 3 gallon for a while, and it started getting that same thick, icky feeling in the water that usually comes before the film. But, now all the shrimp are out of that tank, and in with Sonas, so the 3 gallon is empty.

My first test is of regular tap water in the 3 gallon with ONLY the heater. No stress coat, no decorations, no gravel, no stock. Just started it this morning, so now its a waiting game.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #19 
noellezim

My fish had that. I put the tank in the dishwasher and bought melafix the bacterial infectious. Cleaned the plants with it and thew away the old rocks. It went away. Few flare ups and I just kept doing the same thing. 5 months later no more slime. Anyway hope this helps, good luck :)
noellezim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #20 
sythka

I've had had this happen to me after a betta's bubble nest has "popped". Normally it just goes away after a while. I've never had it to this extent though, so it's likely it's something else.
sythka is offline   Reply With Quote