Betta Fish Forum banner

Heaters !

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Aahnay 
#1 ·
I have been round and round the net, looking for a heater for 3, or 3.5 gal tank. Reading the reviews is killing me, lol. I pick one out then read and nope, not that one.

It must be adjustable, and reliable. In the winter it will be working much harder than summer. ;-)

Perhaps we could have a sticky for voted heaters per tank size? :thumbsup:

Thanks very much.

I used to have fish many years ago, I miss them. Starting small, and working my way back. Although, when i visit walmart, my heart just breaks to see the dead bettas. Today, 2 very large and beautiful ones were dead(they just got this batch in about 5 days ago). Id buy them all if i had room.

But then they would just get more in... :-? and there was one today building a nest! Breaks my heart.

#2 ·
You should take pics of the dead fish and post them on Yelp. Maybe it would shame them into taking better care of the fish, especially if more of us start doing it.

#3 ·
Yeah, i have seen pics like that on youtube. I doubt it will help. When i go there, I spread them out so the cups arent touching each other, just to help them a little. But the woman who works in there doesnt like it.

I used to chat with her all the time, but after i started doing this, she calls me Ma'am.

Heaters:

http://www.kensfish.com/product117.html
Review: http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Preset-Submersible-Aquarium-50-Watt/dp/B000VOF33Y

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-THEO-Submersible-Aquarium-Heater/dp/B0006JLPG8/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_12
Review: same url

http://www.amazon.com/ViaAqua-50-Wa...ostat/dp/B005440HLO/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_15
Reviews: same url
Vote: 1

More later, its bed time.

#7 ·
The EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater appeals most to me; the reviews on Amazon are stellar, but they reveal mostly that this heater does everything I would want it to do, and I like that it would shut off if the water level is too low. It has an indicator light, too, when it is running. Hydor THEO comes in a close 2nd: Reviews are also stellar on Amazon, and there are more of them. It advertises that it will not be damaged if run dry, and its accuracy is noted by several of the reviewers. Both of these are shock/shatter resistant, and both have an indicator light. For some reason the EHEIM Jager edges out the Hydor THEO for me, based on my limited acquaintance with advertising copy on Amazon, but we have to work with what we have available. Good luck.

#9 ·
copied and pasted from a previous thread about heaters for small tanks :)

I have 2 of the Hydor Theos and actually really like them. I originally bought one for my 3 gallon Marienland Eclipse. When I got a Kritter Keeper for my PK, they didn't have a Theo in stock. So I bought a Hagen Elite. Although the Elite did a good job of maintaining temperature, it wasn't truly completely submersible. With the limited depth in a Kritter Keeper, I wanted it completely horizontal. In the end, I trashed the Elite and bought another Theo. I do have to keep it set a bit higher than what the dial says, but IMHO they do a great job of maintaining temps in both my filter and unfiltered tanks. But to each their own. Good luck finding something that works for you!

#10 ·
#11 ·
Thanks so much, for the input. I went for the EHeim. I thought i red a lot of bad reviews for the theo and aqueon, but i read so many reviews, im not sure now. Thats why i wanted real user input from all of you instead of relying on Amazon, etc.

Amazon does have a challenge with reviews, and ive noticed lately, you have to check that the review is for that particular item, as it will pull in reviews for a type of item, and apply to the one you are looking at!

I also tried viewing as many pics as i could to see what others had... I did see a lot of theos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.