Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #1 
copperarabian

Soo sad at work

Today at petsmart this lady with her 2 young kids and husband asked me if she could put a female and male betta together, I told her no and she complained how the other worker said she could. I explained how the male will kill the female or vise versa if they don't want to breed. She then asked what fish she could put with them and walked over to the tiger barbs where she tapped her fake nails on the tank wall scaring the fish. I told her they are tiger barbs and will nip the bettas fins then showed her all the betta compatible fish and those that aren't compatible.

Now I ask the important question, how big is the tank. Her young daughter walks up with a 1.77 mini tank that she plans to put the male and female together in because she's determined to get them even though I told her they aren't going to do well. I quickly tell her the tank is only good for a single fish. After telling her this she buys a male guppy(a fish I told her not to get because of the betta) and a otocinclus. She wanted some platy's as well but I told her the tank was way over the bio-load and that her fish weren't going to do well.

So sad

On a good note I helped these two girls a lot with their bettas. I explained the dangers of plastic plants, and water change schedules and the importance of having at least a 2.5g. I also referred them to this forum so I hope they check it out.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #2 
xShainax

UGH, I hate women like that
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:47 AM   #3 
Nutt007

Gah I hate these kinds of people. I tried to give a lady some advice, on how two gallons or more is best, get a heater, ect. And do you want to know what she said? "Oh I am gonna use them as centerpieces." HOLY CRAP PEOPLE. THEY ARE LIVING THINGS! NOT DECORATIONS!!!! >:(
Nutt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #4 
copperarabian

@Nutt007
I've had people planning on using them as center pieces but they also plan on giving them a good life after whatever event they are planning is over, I would hate if they had no remorse for their action. I hate when a parent is getting a fish for their child, which is almost always a comet in a small tank or bowel. I try telling them the proper set up and how big they get and they say "it's just for my kid". They are setting up the fish for failure and it's so sad :(
Old 07-03-2012, 03:15 AM   #5 
xShainax

I want A betta as a centerpiece at my wedding at the brides table. When the wedding is over, he is coming with me
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #6 
copperarabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I want A betta as a centerpiece at my wedding at the brides table. When the wedding is over, he is coming with me
That's the best way if it has to be done, it's great if they have a place to rest and hide if they feel stressed out too :)
Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #7 
Purple

I'm definitely having bettas at my wedding. They're a major part of my life. Hopefully by then I'll have more fish, so I can use my own. I can't bare the thought of buying a living creature knowing it's going to die because of my own actions... Ugh.
Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #8 
mursey

Location: formerly SF, then Tucson AZ, now central New Jersey
Ugh. . I hate stupid and inconsiderate people like that! I wish somehow we could stop people from getting living things if they clearly couldn't care less about the health or happiness of another living thing.
mursey is offline   Reply With Quote