Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #1 
tamikakes

ammo chips?

What is the verdict on ammo chips ammonia remover that is put in with the filter? Pros/cons? do they work? ect.
thoughts and oppinions/adivce very much appriciated!

I currently have a 2.5 gal aqueon tank with filter, but I took the filter out til I get some sponge filter to put over the intake. I am currently doing a 1/4 ish water change daily, 3/4 ish every 3 days

I am going to start cycling a 10 gal tank I got today *$4 looks brand new, still has the aqueon sticker on it.....just need a lid for it* Thinking of doing the shirmp method since my 2.5 gal has not been cycled as I read it isn't neccisary, and I was (and still am) new to the betta world as of Friday.
tamikakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 PM   #2 
Goldibug

I've heard from many that ammo chips work well but if you remove all the ammonia from your tank then the nitrogen cycle will never be able to establish itself. Tetra Safestart helps establish a cycle quickly. My 10 gallon cycled in 2 weeks with it. I always add more then suggested though because you can't overdose with it and I think it helps things get moving faster. Establishing a cycle in a filtered tank will save you a lot of water changes and keep your fish happy and healthy.
Goldibug is offline   Reply With Quote