Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #1 
jonasgirl1622

Calcifer is still floating..

I think he has SBD and I'm not sure what to do I've heard give him half a pea I've heard don't I'm not sure what to do. Tell me?
jonasgirl1622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need more info and a pic....complete this and add...the more info the better.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #3 
jonasgirl1622

I think he has SBD and I'm not sure what to do I've heard give him half a pea I've heard don't I'm not sure what to do. Tell me?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? One mystery Snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I've tried giving him flakes but he spits them out I gave him
some frezee dried worms he ate one of them.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? once 50% 2nd 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a bump on his side by his fins.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? When I got him he had the bump so he has been the same
When did you start noticing the symptoms? the day I got him about 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I fasted him for a day and a half but it didn't go away
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? He is pretty young, he's still small.

I will add a picture in a minute.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since you are saying SBD....I assume he is having buoyancy problems....correct...or is it just the lump/bump....
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 
jonasgirl1622

the bump I was talking about. and yes he is having a hard time swimming down alot!!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The location of that bump looks to the normal part of the anatomy called the caudal peduncle and nothing to worry about....

If he is having swim issues it could be related to several different things-Some it is related to how they are reared at the fish farm and it is a deformity or poor husbandry at the fish farm. It could also be due to poor care at the fish store....

Since he is new-what I would recommend-keep the water quality high with the water changes-your schedule looks good, however, I would add an extra 50% water only for the first week. Provide good nutrition-since he is new-its not uncommon for them to not eat well for the first week. If you have access to mosquito larva-offer some rinse to see if you can stimulate his feeding response. If you have a tannin source-add this to both the tank and the replacement water used for water changes.

Tannin source-IAL (Indian almond leaf) usually you have to get this online
Oak leaf-this is what I use....collect naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf...add 2-3 to the tank and 2-3 to the replacement water a couple of hours before you make the water change to lightly tan the water as a general tonic.....

If he doesn't improve in a day or so or he get worse/change in symptom-he may need Epsom salt/tannin treatment....

Lovely fella....keep us posted....

Tags
sbd